General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Filters

I've got a question for ya'll.
Recently, on another forum, I raised the BS flag on the fact that my friends mom's Mitsubishi Endeavor's transmission filter is actually built in the transmission. (I was going to do a filter change/flush, the parts guy said, "Yea, your not gonna want to change the filter," showed me the tranny diagram, and pulled it up that warranty gives them 12.5 hours for filter change. I than said, "Wow, Japenese engineering," and the parts guy said, "Yea, great place for the filter huh?").
A guy on this particular forum said
most transmissions built in the last 10 years are like that. The filter doesnt need to be changed on ANY interval, as the trans doesnt produce enough debris to justify one.
the filter would only need changing if you had a catasrophic failure. Toyotas transmission supplier (asian-warner) has never had a servicable filter on any of their trannies (just a wire screen)... and they last forever.
the number one way to keep a trans in good working order is to change the fluid. The fluid looses its quality over time; the filter doesnt.
Bottom line, is he correct that transmission filters actually arn't really needed, and/or don't really need to be changed, or am I correct in thinking he's full of it, and stupid? (I mean, if tranny filters were totally useless, and auto makers have known this for years, why does my friends dad's 2004 GMC Savanna work van have a serviceable filter, just like my Dakota does??)

Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
buckw1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Filters

Your wrong.
Most modern vehicles do indeed have a screen only with no scheduled change interval. If regular 30 to 40k trans fluid flushes are peformed the trans should last well over 100k. A trans flush would consist of hooking up a trans fluid flush machine and pumping out 16qts of fluid while pumping back in 16 qts of clean new fluid.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Bah... oh well. Whatever. I'll just contine changing transmission filters and being happy.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 AM
pcjeep

Most of the new Chryslers never need servicing, its not in their maintenance schedule. There is no trans dipstick tube, just a screw cap. I miss it because it pays an hour.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Dodge is going to Asian-warner transmissions on the Rams either this year or next year from what I've heard.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:32 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

Dodge is going to Asian-warner transmissions on the Rams either this year or next year from what I've heard.
Bah, mis-read your post initially. Didn't see "Rams" in there.... I was going to try to make a funny, but I can't.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Thansen

Maybe it's just me but, I like knowing that my car has a filter. It's like protection yah? We may not need it, but it's nice to have.

Quick Reply: Transmission Filters