General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'97 Neon cooling fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
aaronrus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Neon cooling fan problems

I just bought a '97 neon, w/ the DOHC and an auto tranny, and everything runs fine, except the cooling fans, they stay on constantly, even when the ignition is off. i bought the haynes manual from the autoparts store to troubleshoot it, i figured most likely the relay's coil is bad, stuck closed perhaps, but when i pulled the cooling fan relay, the fans stayed on. i popped open the power distrubution block to see if anyone rigged the fans to be hardwired in, and low and behold they didnt, in fact, the wiring that connects to the relay was entirely missing, in fact there are no provisions at all for that relay, it is plugged into nothing but empty space. judging from the way it appears, there never was an electrical provision for that relay to begin with. I decided to approach this from a different angle, so i tried to trace the wire that comes from the PCM and energizes the relay, and i foudn that there is no such wire that matches the colors listed in the manual. i tried to approach it from another angle, tracing the power wire from the fans to the power distribution block and the 30A fuse that is there, to see if there was something else in line with it , and sure enough, there is, what appears to be a wall mounte drelay of sorts, for wire, mounted n the frame rail on the driver's side front, not too far from where the horn is mounted. anyways, i can find no reference to this relay anywhere in the wiring schematics and was wondering if someone can shed some light on this situation of mine: thanks in advance for any help you can render, my email address is stickpony@gmail.com

also, if anyone has the pinouts schematic for the '97 neon with the dohc engine, i would be eterbnally grateful, that way i can trace the relay turn on wire

Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 AM
chryslertech
Default RE: '97 Neon cooling fan problems

The radiator fan relay is mounted on frame rail in front. It is a solid state relay and that is probably bad causing the fans to stay on.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: '97 Neon cooling fan problems

Agreed ^^^^

Quick Reply: '97 Neon cooling fan problems