General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hand-me-down 1984 Ram 50 p/u

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 PM
daddysgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand-me-down 1984 Ram 50 p/u

Hello. I'm new to the forum and need some help with a 1984 Dodge Ram 50 my dad handed down to me. I plan to fix one thing at a time until I get it back in "perfect" condition. My first issue is with a "clunking" sound when I put the truck in reverse. When I put the truck in 1st gear the clunking stops. This is a manual transmission. I think it's the u-joints, but what do I know? Just guessing. So, if you can figure out what it might be my next questions would be: 1) Would I be able to fix it? 2) If not, how much would it cost to replace it? 3) How can I protect myself from getting taken by a repairman? [:@]

All your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Debra

Old 09-20-2006, 01:11 AM
ILLXJ
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hand-me-down 1984 Ram 50 p/u

If it is a clunk coming from the u-joints, you should be able to tell. Get under the truck & move the driveshaft back & forth by hand. Look for play at the trans. & the rear end. It could also be the pinion nut, if it loosens up it will cause a clunk. You can get u-joints at any parts store, should run $10-15 each. I don't know how mechanicly(sp) inclined you are but it is not a hard job to change them. Get a Chilton or Hayes manual or better yet a factory service manual, if you can find one. These will describe general maint. procedures & the FSM will have eveything from maint. to how to rebuild the engine & tranny. As far as cost to have this work done I have no idea. I normally do everything myself. HTH. JIM.

Quick Reply: Hand-me-down 1984 Ram 50 p/u