General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:35 PM
85n97ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Problems

Hello all..I am a newbe to this forum...I was wandering if any of you have had shifting problems with an auto 97 ram..If so what was the fix?

Old 12-11-2003, 08:22 PM
grubb202

Hello,</P>

It depends on what kind of shifting problems you are having. Is it upshifting, downshifting, between 2-3 gears only or what? There is a output speed sensor that is fairly cheap and reall easy to install that is located on the aft/drivers side of the transmission that could be fauled up. You could just remove it to make sure the end of it doesn't have alot of metal on it. That would mess up its reading. I had a downshifting problem that was cured with a govenor pressure transducer that is located under the tranny pan, real easy to change as well. I have a manual at home that I can look up your problem and it narrow our search but I need you to be more specific as to what exactly your problems are. Also, how many miles, when was your last fluid and filter change? Hope I can help. Talk to you soon.</P>

Earnest</P>

Old 12-15-2003, 12:06 PM
85n97ram

Well this is my dads truck so i am not positive on everything on it....I think the truck has around 50,000 on it.I beleive the problem is with upshifting.Not pos. but think 2-3..I think he has taken it to a shop but not sure what has been done to it,but know it has still been acting up some..Dont know if this helps or not...but it does kinda sound like something electronic on it...If you can help further would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-15-2003, 12:37 PM
grubb202

Hello,</P>

You might have a couple of problems. I have found on my service manual that there could be a problem with the govenor circuit. There is a govenor pressure transducer located under the pan that is easy to replace (other than dropping the pan) and cost around 55.00 dollars. That is what was wrong with my truck (I didn't have a check engine light either, so I, at first, didn't think it was electrical related. It was pressure related though). Also, the 1-2 shift valve and or the front servo/kick down bands may be damaged or just need adjusting. I have a more indepth service manual but am unable to locate it right now. There is a guy named Wayne at APS Percision that really is good at what he does. He helped me out on mine. He is located (I think) in California but you can call him with the symptoms and he will give you good directions in which way to go. He specializes in Dodge and Jeep transmissions. I was quoted a transmission overhaul at 1600.00 but then called him and directed me to the gov. press. transducer, a really big savings. I hope this helps a little bit.</P>

Thanks,</P>

Earnest</P>

Old 12-19-2003, 11:29 PM
85n97ram

I rode in the truck some today..And it does have a 2-3rd shift problem
and at times when it should go to 3rd seems like it goes into nuetral

Old 12-22-2003, 02:58 AM
grubb202

I would call Wayne to be sure, but my guess still tells me the gov. press. transducer. </P>

Good Luck,</P>

Earenst</P>

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems