General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

V8 Swap? What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:35 PM
DakotaSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Swap? What do you guys think?

I have a 2000 Dakota Club Cab, 3.9L V6, NV3500 5Speed Trans, RWD.

I've gathered alot of info about the swap and it seems to be the easiest with the 318/5.2L swap, because it uses the same trans I have now and also the engine mounts.
I'm keeping an eye out for a good 360/5.9L engine, but i'm not sure about the trans working, so im still looking into that swap.

I feel the 318/5.2L swap will be easier, cheaper, safer and less time consuming. BUT, I would love to have the power of the 5.9L under my hood. Also, I guess the 5.9L would be more $$[:@]

Just wanted some opinions and ideas about the swap..

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: V8 Swap? What do you guys think?

ok, well first off...the 318 and the 360 are the same block. so if tranny fits 318, then it's gonna fit the block of the 360. Next, comes the issue of switching the modules over to your truck to make everything work correctly with your new engine. there could be a possibility that you could just switch the PCM, but dont hold me accoutable for that. hope this helps

Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm very sure that trans won't bolt up. Not to mention I don't think it would hold the torque & HP. Man if you are thinking about going there then you should just trade the truck in on what you want.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm VERY sure the trans will bolt up bcause all a 3.9 V-6 is, is a 318 (5.2) minus 2 cylinders. Same bolt pattern, valve gear, etc. The 318 and 360 are the same family, but they are not the same block. Externally everything is identical. A 360 will make your life interesting, especially in a pick up with a stick shift. It will bolt in, you will just have to figure out computer issues. Keep in mind that while Dodge offered the 360 in the Dakota, they didn't have it with a manual trans. Strength of the trans you need to look at and balancing off the engine. Back in the day 318's were internally balanced and 360's externally. With the switch to the Magnum style I don't know if they changed that. If so, great. If not, then you'll need the properly balanced flywheel for the engine. You might want to check into front suspension specs also. You'll want to try and find a reference for the brakes, suspension, etc. because more than likely there are differing setups for the levels of power. My hemi ram doesn't have the same brakes a ram srt10 has. Make sure you upgrade the safety parts too that way you get to enjoy it for awhile. As is with the V-8 in the Dakota you're going to have traction issues. Buddy of mine had one of the early 5.2 Magnum/5sp combos and even with the biggest tires he could shove in there, unless he had something heavy in the bed that sumbitch was always sideways!

Quick Reply: V8 Swap? What do you guys think?