General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Suggestions for Posi Rear End (99 Ram)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Traction Issuez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Posi Rear End (99 Ram)

So I'm looking at options for the rear end in this thing. First question is which rear end I have, size not ratio. It's a 99 Ram Ext. Cab with 5.2L Hopefully there's a standard rear for this thing. I'm pretty sure it's not a posi. I'm seeing it's reasonably cheap to upgrade to the auburn unit but I'd like some feedback from anyone who's used and abused these units in a dodge. I looked into a Dana 60 setup but there's really nothing cheap about going that route.
Whatever the case, I'm looking for a 3.55:1 setup with some sort of posi, ie eaton, auburn, detroit, whatever. Just no spool. This is to be a drag racing setup, I'll compliment the rear with some good racing shocks, likely bilsteins, some sticky tires, and I'll start with the traction bars I have and probably move to Caltracs if traction issuez persist.

To recap, gimme options and suggestions for a tough rear end that can hook and stand up to a transbrake.
issuez

Old 07-20-2004, 03:58 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suggestions for Posi Rear End (99 Ram)

HAve you considered just getting a stock unit from a salvage yard? The rears are fairly tough and I haven't heard any stories about them being weak.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Traction Issuez

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

HAve you considered just getting a stock unit from a salvage yard? The rears are fairly tough and I haven't heard any stories about them being weak.
Any suggestions for ID numbers to look for that would suggest a posi?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:33 PM
moparturd
Banned

Sorry. I don't know of any #'s way to tell. I just do it the old fashoned way and spin the driveshaft. Make sure both side spin the same direction.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

whats it mean if one spins one way and the other spins the other way???

Old 07-21-2004, 09:12 AM
vlsun
Veteran

i'm interested in regearing also, mine comes with 3.55, i'd like to move up to a dodge 3.91 with a posi as to not lose some low end grunt when i move up to 285 tires from 265. what kind of cost would i be looking at if i did this through the dealership? is there a better way to do it? like just order it somewhere and have a local garage do it? mine's a '01 ram 1500 4x4 5.2 5-speed btw.

traction issuez - may i ask what you are expecting to run out of your ram? it's a big heavy vehicle with a small block in it, not my idea of a race car... i'm curious as to what you've done to the motor so far and what you plan to do with it.

i'd like to work the suspension before i do any engine modding, besides the cai that i ordered. i'm thinking edelbrock shocks (dual in the front), rear anti-sway bar and ladder bars. wondering if steering stabilizers would be worth it. i'm just looking for a smoother ride really.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Traction Issuez

I'm developing a twin turbo prototype for it to help people regain their faith in Mopar and trucks. Mopar tells me the stock block and crank will hold 700hp, so it shall be, even if that's half the power the turbos will support.

ORIGINAL: vlsun

traction issuez - may i ask what you are expecting to run out of your ram? it's a big heavy vehicle with a small block in it, not my idea of a race car... i'm curious as to what you've done to the motor so far and what you plan to do with it.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:36 PM
moparturd
Banned

I'm developing a twin turbo prototype for it to help people regain their faith in Mopar and trucks. Mopar tells me the stock block and crank will hold 700hp, so it shall be, even if that's half the power the turbos will support.

Ouch!!!!

Old 07-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Traction Issuez

ORIGINAL: mopartodd
Ouch!!!!
That's why I need a capable rear end. Launching off the transbrake in a truck this size will still pull the front wheels, but I need a rear that can handle it. That's why I'm trying to decide between the posi, a locker, or a Dana.
issuez

Old 07-21-2004, 05:50 PM
moparturd
Banned

You might want to just bite the bullet on this one and go with the 9.25". I'm not sure what all came in the Rams, or if a new rearend from a current model will fit under the older body style. If you want to make some measurements on your truck I would be glad to see if they are compatable.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Posi Rear End (99 Ram)