General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
polingkyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rough

My girlfriend has a 1998 Dodge Neon. Two days ago she turned it on to drive home from work and she said it was running very rough. She got it to my house and it seems as though one of the cylinders may be misfiring. I put all new spark plugs in but that didn't help. I have yet to do the spark plug wires, however thats my next project. Anyone have a clue what the problem may be????

Old 07-22-2004, 03:58 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running Rough

Could be the coil pack is going bad. Check to see if you have a spark at the plugs if the wires are OK.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:39 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive had a few customers complain about that very thing...i have recommended a full tune up..plugs, wires, and possibly the coil pack. also, todd, could it conceivably the CAT going south? my buddies sunbird acted like it needed tuned up when the cat went bad...until it wouldnt run at all...then he paid bimmerbob a ton to fix it, and traded it on a crustang...

Old 07-22-2004, 10:29 PM
polingkyle

I've tried unplugging one plug at a time to see if it runs any more rough but it seems to be the same. I doubt it's the cat only because it just happened all of a sudden. How much are the coil packs a piece?

Old 07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have just one on a Neon. They are between 30 and 50 bucks if I remember correctly. But from what you just said, i'm not thinking it's the pack. Maybe a sensor somewhere.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 09-02-2004, 11:27 PM
cdubya

My Hemi does that from time to time. I have taken it to shops but it only does it for a few minutes and then it straightens itself out. Dont have a great feeling about it but i have 13k worth of waranty left.

Quick Reply: Running Rough