General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hemi break-in mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 04:11 PM
jeeperman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi break-in mileage??

Anyone know what the Hemi engine break-in requirements are...max speed etc.

The dealer located the package I want but it's 150 freeway miles away. The dealer wants to drive it here but who knows how fast driver will travel the speed limit is 75mph.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2004, 07:34 PM
nick449
Default RE: hemi break-in mileage??

All depends on the dealer. I had my Ram SRT 10 delivered from 260 miles away. The general manager of the dealership was headed my way on vacation. He drove it with his wife and daughter following him in their car. All interstate miles...he kept it at 65 mph.

Arrived in mint condition and he refueled about 10 miles prior to delivery. Sure saved me a 520 mile trip with my Trailblazer and a friend having to go with me.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:42 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

You really don't want to maintain a constant speed during break-in. Varying your speed will help everything set-in better....[&:]

Old 08-07-2004, 10:04 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really strange subject. You hear, do this and do that. I have to agree with Dustyloins. If you are going to do mostly highway miles during breal-in, vary your speed. I would even go as far as slowing don to 20-30 MPH and dropping the hammer to 70-80 MPH a couple times. I wouldn't be to worried about doing this for more than the first 50-100 miles though. I don't think the production engine really needs a break-in procedure per se, unless it's a really tight built engine, like a race motor. Either way, you'll be OK. Enjoy.[sm=itsok.gif]

Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 PM
jeeperman

Thanks guys. Thats what the service rep said. 1st 500 miles...don't use the cruise control, vary the speed and occasional full throttle accelerations are recommended.

The truck will be here on Monday...can't wait for the full throttle accelerations

Does the Hemi run on regular?

Old 08-09-2004, 04:21 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you guys got it, production stuff doesn't really need a break-in-we don't do that anymore. We also don't use non-detergent oil during break-in anymore. Just drive the d@mn thing.

Quick Reply: hemi break-in mileage??