General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Dakota 2WD electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM
somcol2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota 2WD electrical problem

I am having a weird electrical problem. It seems to happen when it is cold outside, but it does happen sometimes when it is warm. When I get in and start the car the radio and turn signals quit working. If I adjust the steering column up they begin to work. This doesn't work all the time though. Most of the time I have to push the key in and turn it to the point just before the starter is engaged then pull on the key along with adjusting the steering column. After all of that, it will work, most of the time. Also sometimes as i am driving down the road and put on the turn signal the radio goes off and the turn signal quits working. I recently noticed that the cigarette lighter quits working as well.My question is, isthis an electrical short in the steering column or is it in the ignition switch??? Also is the steering column hard to take apart and put back together??? Any help on this gremlin is appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota 2WD electrical problem