Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Grand Cherokee vs. Durango

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:50 AM
hipkinsd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Cherokee vs. Durango

Okay, here's the deal. My wife is a realtor and needs passenger room. We also live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV where we get lots of snow. She currently has a Subaru Legacy L sedan that has been a great vehicle. However, it doesn't have the ground clearance she feels like she needs since she often shows raw land to clients.

We have a '97 Ram that we love. Can't stick it! So we're pretty content with the idea of staying with a Chrysler product. I'd like some feedback and substantiated opinions on the Grand Cherokee versus the Durango in model years 2001-2003. Mainly I'm interested in knowing about powertrain performance and durability (V8 only), comfort, room (I'm not a small person, so I like lots of room in a vehicle), and overall dependability.

I realize this is not a posting that will bring about a short response in most cases, but I'd be pretty happy to get some general responses and testimonials. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-02-2004, 02:28 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Default RE: Grand Cherokee vs. Durango

I have a '99 Durango, which is the same as the 2001-03 models, and it has more interior room than the Grand Cherokee. It still feels cramped to me in comparison to my '03 Ram, but that's not really a valid comparison. Not any difference in drivetrains that I'm aware of... the Durango has a better ride just because of the size and weight difference. Of course, these are my subjective opinions- the best way to judge is to go try both out yourself!

Old 12-02-2004, 03:48 PM
purdueranger
Veteran

5.9 durango with the 3rd row seating. you can put 7 people in it. Great vehicle grandfather has a 2000 one and it is awesome.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 PM
hipkinsd
Captain

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

the best way to judge is to go try both out yourself!
Kind of the way I was thinking anyway. More interested in issues of reliability. I thought the powertrain was the same for both. My Ram is quite spacious, but I don't anticipate an SUV feeling quite that roomy. In comparison to the Legacy, though, I'd figure either of them would be pretty roomy.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

go jeep. the grand Cherokee is an amazing SUV, and jeeps can last forever. there are so many people at school who have old Cherokee thats run perfect. jeeps are well made vehicles and last a long time. it does limit the space to 5 people, but if you are willing to wait the commander will have 7.

u say: However, it doesn't have the ground clearance she feels like she needs since she often shows raw land to clients.

if you are doing any off the road jeep it. best choice. don't get me wrong the durango is an exceptional vehicle, but the jeep would last u better and make showing the land alot easier. the only advantage of the durango is 7 people space. will see be taking more then 4 other people around at a time. i have an 05 grand Cherokee so I'm kind of bias, but trust me jeep grand Cherokee no matter what model, are top of the line vehicles.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 AM
redriderbob
Banned

If you are talking about a 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the 2001-2003 Dodge Durango is the way to go, the Durango has a 9" longer wheelbase, is a little wider, and like everyone else says, has the third row seating... I have 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4X4 w/ the 4.7L "MAGNUM" V-8 and just love it. Have any more questions, be glad to help... for ideas on the size of the Durago, visit my site... http://www.cardomain.com/id/redriderbob

redriderbob

Old 12-05-2004, 08:28 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Go with the Durango. The durango's are bigger and they've got the optional 3rd row seating.

-Matt-

Old 12-24-2004, 12:57 PM
RedRocket

I am 6'3", and I drove around in two 2001 durangos for my work, they were great. Thirsty, but you already see that with the Ram. I also had to take people with me, and they had lots of room behind me (seat moved back, leg room). But I havn't driven the new GC though.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:49 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

So which vehicle have you bought? Or are you still looking around?

-Matt-

Old 03-26-2005, 06:59 AM
shiftyeyes

The Durango is way more uglyier than the Jeep, and the durango has a heavy truck feel

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee vs. Durango