Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Best intake for a 4.7 HO

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Silver1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best intake for a 4.7 HO

I have an 04 grand cherokee with the 4.7 HO. Ive been looking at a few intakes but I am not real sure which one is best.
I know K&N is usually good but i was hoping there would be a cheaper alternative of close to the same quality.
Thanks for any advice!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Best intake for a 4.7 HO

I discussed this at length with the pro's at KRC Performance and was told that because of the specially designed intake on the H.O., gains from a CAI would be minimal, at best. I was told to just replace the stock, paper air filter with a high quality drop in such as a K&N, and be done with it. So that's what I did.
I did however, change the engine oil and diff. lubes to Royal Purple and for the last four months have seen a solid 2.5 mpg fuel economy increase, plus a bit better acceleration.
Maybe you could just do a drop in and use the money saved toward a high end synthetic lube change...

BTW: I bought my '02 GC Overland used about a year ago. It's my 4th GC and first V8. I was not aware of all the significant upgrades made to the H.O. engine. There is a great site that details these changes plus all features found in 99-04 Jeeps. Makes for interesting reading:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Silver1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best intake for a 4.7 HO

thanks for the suggestion. sorry it took me awhile to check back on this post, i havent been on the site much lately... I will definately switch to Royal Purple, I have been running that stuff in my truck for about a year now and I am very happy with it. As far as the intake goes though, I think I will just leave the stock box on it. I really dont want to spend almost $300 bucks for "minimal" gains... I wasnt necessarily looking for more power but I was curious about how it would affect fuel mileage. Thank you for your help!!!

Quick Reply: Best intake for a 4.7 HO