Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

4 Door Rubicon owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Tractor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Door Rubicon owners

Thinking about getting one. How do you like them and what problems have you had ? Gas mileage average (trust me-I drive a PowerWagon-so I know it won't be great), tire wear, any quirks I should be aware of ? Thanks for the responses

Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Don't own one, but have gone wheeling with a few. Breakover angle, or the lack there of, seems to be the biggest limiting factor. We spent all day trying to get one two hundred yards down a rock crawling trail that we drove with our short wheelbase Jeeps. We gave up after tearing off the plastic bumpers and rearranging the skid plates on the four door Jeep. It was a stock four door Rubicon, and was just way too low to the ground. A stock short wheelbase Rubicon is reasonable, the four door needs a lift in a bad way.

They look great, and they drive great, and they are comfortable vehicles. But they are too low for their length.

MOPWR2U

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 03-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

What are you planning on using it for and what mods do you have in mind for it? If you're concerned with gas mileage, i'd advise against a Rubicon. Before I lifted my 2 door TJ Rubi 6 speed, I was getting about 15-16 highway mpg whereas my friend is getting 19-20 in his 4.0L 6 speed Sport. If you're planning on light wheelin', you don't need all the extras the Rubicon package offers. If you are serious about off-roading and/or considering a lift and tires, the Rubicon is for you. Its got the D44s front and rear as well as lockers. I have 33x12.5" a/t's on mine and they work great with the 4.10s. You'd probably be able to throw on 35s without needing to re-gear.

Additionally, if you don't have big plans for wheelin' and mods, also remember that the stock Rubicon Mud Terrain tires have a much shorter life span than the tires found on other models.

Finally, as a Rubicon owner, as much as I love it and have a blast driving it, I have to admit, it is far from practical, even for a Jeep. Now, if you're unlike me and have another vehicle to drive every now and then... GO FOR IT!!!!!

Quick Reply: 4 Door Rubicon owners