Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

95 zj 5.2 2K stuttering help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
rebelZJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 zj 5.2 2K stuttering help!

So my zj is being ugly and horrible. it will start good and run fine until you get to 2k then it starts jerking and stuttering violently...

I checked firing order. looks right. The #2 on the cap is more in the 7 oclock position than the 6, but the order looks right... (maybe dizzy position off?)... how do I check?

I have codes 12, 13, 55...

It has new cap and rotor and wires and plugs from previous owner... it also has new fuel pump.

looking for some ideas.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
96dohcsportcoupe
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelZJ
So my zj is being ugly and horrible. it will start good and run fine until you get to 2k then it starts jerking and stuttering violently...

I checked firing order. looks right. The #2 on the cap is more in the 7 oclock position than the 6, but the order looks right... (maybe dizzy position off?)... how do I check?

I have codes 12, 13, 55...

It has new cap and rotor and wires and plugs from previous owner... it also has new fuel pump.

looking for some ideas.
check your idle control sensor. that's what it was in my girlfriends zj

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On an OBD1 jeep (up to '96), there aren't that many codes and they aren't all that complicated. Normally, the 12 code means that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 "ON" cycles, and the 55 means that you're at the end of the code list stored on your ECU, so that means that you have one fault that's been recognized by the ECU - code 13. This code relates to the MAP sensor - No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the barometric (atmosphere) pressure reading from start-up. The OBD1 codes sometimes aren't very definitive, but they often give you a place to start.

First, I'd check to see if the hoses are attached to it and that there are no cracks or breaks in these hoses. The connections themselves may have dried out and could be leaking. Vacuum hoses are pretty cheap and should be changed every so often anyway, so for a couple of dollars, you could just replace them & see if that works. If it doesn't help, your MAP may be malfunctioning.

Around here, a MAP isn't cheap, but because it's not common to have one fail or malfunction, you could see if you can get one at an auto salvage yard or borrow a good one from someone you know that has an OBD1 jeep with the same engine.

OBD 1 codes are available on a lot of sites, but don't mix the code meanings between manufacturers, for example, with an OBD 1 Ford, the meaning could lead you toward the IAC motor (Idle Air Control Motor), which is a linear stepper that sets/controls your idle.

Last edited by Alfons; 12-09-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 zj 5.2 2K stuttering help!