Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2.5 iron duke

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
mike bloom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 iron duke

i have an 81 CJ5 with an iron duke engine. I need the lower thermostat housing. This part is not in production anymore and mine is cracked. any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike bloom
i have an 81 CJ5 with an iron duke engine. I need the lower thermostat housing. This part is not in production anymore and mine is cracked. any help would be appreciated.
If you search the internet, you might still find sources for some of the scarce CJ parts, but they'd be pretty expensive. A couple of other options are:
  • Local auto flea markets
  • Register with other jeep sites that have a specific CJ section and ask for your part there - there are lots of hulks around that are parted out to make some extra cash.
If these fail, take your part to a local welder that really understands how to weld thin cast iron and get it fixed there. A machine shop can help you find the welder or they might even handle it for you - they often have contacts with good welding shops to repair parts before they machine them back to tolerances. The thermostat housing doesn't hold that much pressure, so if it's a simple crack, it can probably even be brazed if the crack is cleaned properly.

Quick Reply: 2.5 iron duke