Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Considering 2001 Jeep XJ Sport - Need Insight

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Considering 2001 Jeep XJ Sport - Need Insight

Hey Jeep folks, I need some insight from you all.

I have been in the process of changing needs, one of which includes divesting myself of my 2007 Dodge Ram in favor of a vehicle with AWD or 4WD. One friend highly recommends the Toyota RAV4 (w/ V6) while another suggests an older Jeep XJ. I have been researching both vehicles and, after more discussions with other parties, concluded the Jeep is the better buy for me due to my budget. Also, I'll mainly drive it during the nasty weather that strikes Oklahoma in the winter months.

I found what I believe to be the perfect candidate. It is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4-door Sport with the following features:
  • 4.0L Engine
  • Air Conditioning
  • Power Lock, Power Window, Power Mirror, Power Brake, Power Steering
  • AM/FM Radio, CD Player
  • Bucket Seating, Alloy Wheel, Keyless Remote Entry, Rear Window Defroster, Tow Package, Rear Wiper, Roof Rack, Tachometer, Trip Odometer, Variable Speed Wiper
  • Cruise Control, Tilt
  • Driver Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, ABS Brake
It has 138,000 miles and is super clean inside and out. No dents or scuff marks plus, it's been lifted just a few inches. My cousin lives near the dealer and is going to check it out for me this weekend (I'm about 100 miles away). Aside from the usual physical inspection items, are there any issues common to these vehicles that I should be aware of? Head gaskets, smog equipment, or electrical?

Thanks, and here are some pictures of the vehicle in question.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had three vehicles with 4.0 I6 engine and have worked on many as I did Jeep lifts on the side for a few years before my arthritic spine kinda put an end to that.

4.0 is kinda like an A10 Warthog. HP isn't great, TQ at the low end is very good. Gas mileage is pretty poor BUT you can't kill it. Big plus is it's one of the easiest engines to work on ever made.

Unlike most Chrysler vehicles of the era, the automatic transmission has proven pretty reliable as it was outsourced back in AMC days and is Borg-Warner designed, built by Aisin.

I'd look at the obvious things you'd look at in a 15 year old vehicle. Exhaust, front end components, etc. Just like Wranglers, people like to off road them and tend to beat up on them, especially when lifted. If this one's in good shape, jump on it. They have been out of production 15 years (save the new version of it introduced in 2014 as the KL), so finding a cherry one is getting to be almost impossible...

Old 09-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Thanks for the feedback, Hammer. I am not buying this vehicle to be good on mileage or to win any races. Like my truck, the vehicle will be for a purpose which is to traverse the nasty weather we experience in the winter months.

I live on a dead-end private road that has mild incline as I exit. Back when I had my 1997 Ram, I could not get up that incline after a mixture of snow and freezing rain hit. The biggest hindrance is that the incline is right after a 90º curve, so it wasn't a matter of getting a running start. After 15 minutes of trying to crest the hill, the neighbor kid hooked up to my truck and pulled me up with his 4WD.

Then, in 2010, we were slammed with snow that was pushed by 55-70mph winds on Christmas Eve. I was barely able to get home with the 97 Ram due to the amount of snow that was rapidly accumulating. I know it wouldn't have been a problem in that Jeep.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Which 4wd system, Command Trac or Select Trac? Not that it really matters, either one would outperform anything in a stock pickup. Only system beats either of them IMO is the Quadra Drive. Had it in Mt old '02 Grand Cherokee Overland, same system as Wrangle Rubicon. Fully automatic system with electronic lockers in both axles...

Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Well, the blue Cherokee is gone as is another that the dealership had. Quite a few that had appeared in my searches last week are gone. Someone suggested Craigslist, but I haven't tried that because it seems to always be littered with fake ads. The same person suggested I try Grand Cherokees. So, I searched for GCs between 1997 and 2008 which yielded 24 results and some good candidates with under 130K miles.

I understand the 3.7L V6 is nothing like the I6, so maybe the GC is still an option?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well, if you include the ex's daily drivers I've had three. Two with 4.0s and one with 4.7 HO.

The HO was a beast but dropped a valve seat at 102,000 miles. The first 4.0 was a ZJ, and I gave it to mom when we bought the '02 4.0. Mom had the ZJ til it hit 116,000 miles and only problem was the AC clutch burnt up at 93,000 miles. She sold it to a friend who needed a safe vehicle for a daughter starting college. Last I knew, it was the girl's husband daily driver about 5 or 6 years ago with over 200,000 miles on it. I don't know what became of it since.

Big plus is there are gazillion of GCs out there to pick from and it's fairly easy to find one. 4x4s a little tougher but they are out there. Another huge plus is parts are plentiful both retail and at pic'n pulls. Nice thing is up thru '04 WJ, they had SFA like the Cherokee.

The only downside to a 4.0 GC vs. a 4.0 Cherokee is instead of the AW4 transmission you get a Daimler 42re. Better fuel economy, smoother but not as bulletproof IMO.

The 3.7 is basically a chopped off 4.7 and suffers from the same overheat issues. Seen both last over 200,000 miles but let one just marginally overheat and it's a nightmare. Been there, done that as many others have.

The hardest thing gonna be finding a 4.0 in 4x4. Most tend to be Limited with 5.2/5.9 in ZJ and 4.7 in WJ. Our '02 had to be ordered with Sport package, which was basically a 4.0 with Limited leather seats, sunroof and trim. Was an '02 only thing.

A great place to do some homework is WJJEEPS.COM...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-08-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Well, I opted not to purchase a Jeep at this time. I may consider it in the future, if my budget and needs require it. It would be nice; however, since I have the ability to work from home, being snowed in for a few days will not be a hardship as it was in years past.

Thanks again for the information.

Quick Reply: Considering 2001 Jeep XJ Sport - Need Insight