Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Jeep Cherokee - ? Oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 AM
MinisterMedic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Cherokee - ? Oil pump

Hello all,

I'm going off to look at a 2003 Jeep Cherokee (4.7) today that's for sale. The owner says it needs a new oil pump. I'm not sure what has led him to believe that and I'm not sure if there has been any damage to bearings. I've been communicating by email and haven't always had all my questions answered. I would guess that he had an engine light come on or that he noticed low oil pressure on his gauge but that's just a guess. This is what he said in one of his last messages when as asked if there was any engine knocking "Was no engine knocking when it went..went to the shop cause of oil pressure drop.. shop said it is the oil pump. But that doesn't mean there wasn't some damage done was what I was told but they said the oil pump needed to be changed.. but it hasn't run since the diagnosis and I had it towed home...that is what I was told." If it's just the oil pump I can deal with that I just don't want to find that the main bearings are shot or the cylinder walls have been scored up. He's selling it for $1000 CAD ($719 US) so I feel that's a decent deal if it's just the oil pump. He said the timing chain and guides were recently replaced (too bad the oil pump wasn't done at the same time).

I would like some advice as far as questions to ask and things to look out for. Some of the questions I am going to ask are as follows:

* What exactly was the event that caused them to take it into the shop?
* What was the oil pressure doing? (not rising...rising then falling...what were the pressures on the gauge?)
* How long was it driven after the "event"?
* When exactly was the timing chain replaced (in case this was somehow connected to a faulty timing job)
* What did the shop say it's oil pressure was running at?
* When he says "it hasn't run since the diagnosis" is he saying he hasn't tried to run it or it wouldn't run. I expect he choose to tow it rather than running it but would like to know that for sure.

What sort of a chance is there that this could be a plugged oil uptake pipe?

Thanks for the help,

MinisterMedic

Quick Reply: Jeep Cherokee - ? Oil pump