Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

'01 cherokee oil pressure / rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Methos
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 cherokee oil pressure / rough idle

My wife's '01 cherokee (75,000 miles) has been acting a bit strange the last couple days. When the engine is cold, it will start up and idle fine. Oil pressure comes right up to normal with no apparent issues. But, once it's been driven long enough to warm up, then shut it down for 5-10 minutes and attempting a restart warm the oil pressure will take nearly a minute to fully come up where it should be and it idles very rough until the pressure is up.

Not sure where to start. Any help is certainly welcome.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '01 cherokee oil pressure / rough idle

It sounds like the oil pump is going bad. Have you dropped the pan and inspected the screen/tube on the pump? A new pump is usually less than 70 bucks at a parts store and may save your engines life. I would also suggest some slick 50, I don't know if it's true, but I heard they ran an engine with out oil for quite a while before it melted together. As extra insurance I would treat my engine with it "just in case". Good luck

Quick Reply: '01 cherokee oil pressure / rough idle