Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

the new generation of jeeps

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:31 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: the new generation of jeeps

JK platform - Just Kidding platform..... pretty much daimler chrysler is a joke now with this crap

Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, overall. I like the removeable front fenders, since it'd be REAL easy to come up with a kit that will convert it into a quasi-flatfender. I dont like the lay back grill, and I HATE the way the C-pillar is too straight. It needs just a little forward rake to give it the right look. One that says "jeep" and not "landrover Defender". I love Rovers, dont get me wrong. But Jeep is its own thing and needs to stay that way.

The V6 is good for a start, but how about a turbo diesel and Hemi as options? And no reserving either for just the 4-door, thats total crap.

Speaking of that 4-door, its all fine and good as long as you can still get the 2-door. The field of 2-door SUVs has shrunk to just 2--JK and Toyota FJ. We need more choice in this class, not less.

Also, bring on the Gladiator! Axe that ghey *** extended cab, and give us single cab and crew cab options. Setting up the crew cab as an SUT would be even better. Think Wrangler meets Hummer H1 soft top, and you'll be close to what I have in mind.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

AEV Brute all the way!!!....

Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 PM
DsStang25

I remember removing that top from my CJ....
I feel sorry for my father, he did it when he was my age now and I doubt I could without some back issues :P

Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 PM
DsStang25

Fa as I know the 4.0 doesnt make 80 percent of its torque before 2000rpm. The old 4.2 made it's peak torque at around 1500rpm. 1200-1800 depending on year and options I believe. My old 4.2 had a lot more low end torque than my friends 2002 wrangler.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

The 4.0 has about 85% of it's torque available from idle. From 1500 to 2000 rpm's, the tq curve is flat. The 4.2 produced more maximum torque at lower rpms but the engine itself peaked quickly. Although good for rock crawling, it was a dog on the highway with a maximum HP rating of 150 @3800 rpm's not to mention the problematic carburator's it had. The 4.0 is a scaled down version of the 4.2 except it has fuel injection - although in later years a type of aftermarket FI was available for the 4.2 as well. The 4.0 varies from year to year and set-up to set-up but stock ratings are in the area of 185hp@4750 and 220tq@4000. Like mentioned before though, max torque is at 4000 but it hit's close to this number very early in the band and stay's fairly flat to 4000 rpms. The 4.2 peaked at 240 ft lbs of tq at about 1800 rpm's but then dropped off from there. Also, the 4.2's power depended on whether or not it had the 1 bbl carb or the 2 bbl.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM
DsStang25

I lived at 8,000 feet and it did the speed limit up the mountain passes with a 3 speed and no overdrive... Had to keep the carb in tune though and be smart with the throttle. It honestly felt like enough power to me, just needed a 5 spd... I liked the 20mpg Not real partial to high reving engines anyway, not that the 4.0 acts like a high reving engine either as you pointed out Lots of low end tq. I tried the motorcraft mod and that helped a bit with power but it was overall a waste of time. You know the stalling issue everyone has? They just needl to keep their carbs clean... After learning how to get the engine running right I climbed some very steep stuff and it never stalled, was very impressed with the carter 2bbl after all the trouble other people had and I had before working on it.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:36 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

I spent about 4 or 5 years fighting the 2.8 with the Rochester 2se carb [:'(] on a 86 Cherokee. It was a bitter sweet parting when I finally let that old girl go but I will probably never go back unless I just get one for a steal. I had all these aspirations of "upgrading" to the F.I. system on the 2.8 but in the end, it was best and cheaper to just go to the 4.0. After all, duct tape and coat hangers can only fix so much!

Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 AM
DsStang25

We had an old 85ish 4 banger, it was great in Texas but my father got rid of it after he got to Colorado because he couldnt stand the weak power in his daily driver Great vehicle though. If Jeep had put the gm 3.8(updated engine based of your old one) mpfi engine in the cherokee it would have been pretty decent

My van weighed 4000lb(1000lb more than a cherokee) and had plenty of power and got 30mpg Makes you wonder about that new dodge 3.8...

Im moving back to Colorado and thinking about finding a old cherokee to get around the mountains in because they are real cheap and seem well built. Seen plenty of 4.0's for $1000
Can't stand having to take the car into the trails to be able to hike around and take the dog for a walk and shoot the guns That's just not cool ya know

Old 11-12-2006, 01:41 AM
SaneMadMan

It's not a Jeep but, I can't believed Dodge slapped their logo on this...

http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/index.html

Quick Reply: the new generation of jeeps