Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

U-Connect HandsFree...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:47 AM
WranglinMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Connect HandsFree...

Howdy guys,

I recently became the owner of a brand new shiny 07 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 (what a mouthful!).

I've got the 6 CD/DVD MP3/WMA head-unit, but one thing is bugging me. Those two little buttons atop the unit... the ones for the u-Connect. Press them, and they quickly point out that u-Connect is 'Not Available'. Furthermore, u-Connect is not even an option that is available on my vehicle! Then why are the buttons there? Argh!

I've noticed that the Dodge Nitro utilizes the same head-unit, and has u-Connect available as an option. I'm hoping I'm lucky enough to be able to retrofit the u-Connect from the Nitro into the Wrangler, as it would be a really killer function to have. My uncle has it in his Magnum R/T (albeit with the available NAV system) and absolutely loves it.

Does anyone know the parts I'd need for the Nitro/Wrangler specific head unit to activate my u-Connect?

Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
JeepInfoCenter
Default RE: U-Connect HandsFree...

WranglinMan,
At this point in time the My Gig system can be ordered, however may not at this point be available on dealership lots due to production scheduling. Currently our system is not showing a delay in the production on the Wrangler Unlimited vehicles with the My Gig system, however, you may want to follow up with your local Jeep dealership. The new MyGIG multimedia head unit combines navigation with real-time traffic, hands-free communication, multiple ways to save and play back music and high-quality audio. It holds 20 gig hard drive, and can hold up to 1600 songs.

Hope this helps

Kelly S

Old 10-30-2006, 06:58 PM
WranglinMan

... not at all. But thank you. ;-) You kind of side-stepped the question.

My question is, like the Magnum/300 cars which have a module that can be plugged into the Navigation head unit to enable U-Connect, does the Dodge Nitro's REC headunit have a similar module that can be ordered and installed in the REC headunit found in my '07 Wrangler? They're the same headunit, and I know you can get u-Connect Hands-Free with the Nitro's REC stereo... so I imagine there has to be something. A part number or price from a guy who works for a dealership would really help.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
JeepInfoCenter

ORIGINAL: WranglinMan

... not at all. But thank you. ;-) You kind of side-stepped the question.

My question is, like the Magnum/300 cars which have a module that can be plugged into the Navigation head unit to enable U-Connect, does the Dodge Nitro's REC headunit have a similar module that can be ordered and installed in the REC headunit found in my '07 Wrangler? They're the same headunit, and I know you can get u-Connect Hands-Free with the Nitro's REC stereo... so I imagine there has to be something. A part number or price from a guy who works for a dealership would really help.

Thanks.
Hello WranglinMan,

My name is Miguel and I too am a Marketing Representative with the Dodge Information Center. First off, I would like to inform you as to the reasoning why this feature is not available in the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler models. The main reasoning behind why that particular option is not available is that since the vehicle's windshield can fold completely forward, the wiring could not be accomodated in the same manner that it would for a Dodge Magnum or a Chrysler 300. Furthermore, although the two little buttons atop the unit do exist, it would be an innefectual expenditure to create REC radios without those particular buttons for Jeep Wrangler models alone. Trust me, if I were in your position, I would feel the same way. I completely understand your frustration. Upon further research with the Mopar Accessories web site and my immediate Jeep Senior CSR, that particular option is in contention for release on the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4-door models, however, we have yet to receive an official response as to if or when this particular component will be available as a Mopar Aftermarket add-on. My best suggestion for you at this point would be to stay posted primarily with your local Jeep dealership for updates as they become available. If you happen to have any additional questions/comments, feel free to post. I would be more than happy to be of assistance.

Miguel M.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 PM
timmk

Howdy guys can you give me an update on the Mygig Uconnect?? I have just ordered a 4 door wrangler with Mygig and was verydisappointed to read the above threads that uconnect isn't available. I have seen 1 time on ebay an OEM kit to put the mic on the top of the dash to get this to work (abotu $350.00). Where can I find this if it is not standard on my unit and will it void the factory warranty even if I have the dealer install it?? By the time I get my Wrangler it probably will end up being September and by then an 08 model. Any help on this uconnect issue would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks

Old 10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
JeepFamily

I too am interested in the U-Connect issue. I bought my wife the 2007 Commander LTD and I have to say that the U-Connect option for your cell is the greatest thing ever! I have tried a lot of blue tooth kits for phones and this one is by far the best I have ever seen. That being said, I was very sad when I found that the 2008 Wrangler I just bought could not be fitted with U-Connect. I can go without SAT radio, but U-Connect is a must. There must be a way to "bootleg" it in somehow.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this helps............
[align=left]For 2007 Sebring and Nitro Vehicles:[/align][align=left]The Voice Recognition and U-CONNECT selection for RES and REQ (or RET and REL for International market) radios will only work if the vehicle is equipped with either the factory installed U-CONNECT Hands-Free feature (sales code RSP), or a dealer installed Mopar U-CONNECT Hands-Free System.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]For 2007 Wrangler Vehicles:[/align][align=left]The Voice Recognition and U-CONNECT selections for RES and REQ (or RET and REL for International market) radios will not work because these vehicles do not offer the factory installed U-CONNECT Hands-Free feature (sales code RSP). A dealer installed Mopar U-CONNECT Hands-Free System is currently not an available accessory for Wrangler vehicles.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]2007 & 2008 RES-REQ-REN radios[/align]
Part # 82211004 UConnect installation module for:
2007 Liberty
2008 Liberty-Nitro-Grand Caravan-Town & Counrty Dodge Journey
MSRP $250.00

Part # 82211005 for:
2007 Sebring
2008 Sebring-300-Aspen-Charger-Magnun-Durango-Dakota-Avenger-Commander-Grand Cherokee MSRP $250.00

Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
jat0180
Default Enable UConnect in JK Wrangler with RER

ENABLE U CONNECT !!!
Hello All, I have GREAT news for all JK owners with the MY GIG/NAV/SATALITE (RER) system. I enabled my U connect last week and wanted to share the steps for getting it done.

1. Purchase UConnect Microphone Kit. $45.00 + shipping (I got mine from JUSTFORJEEPS.com) The kit states that it also enables REW and REP systems as well but I have the RER and have no knowledge of the others. The mic. is a Mopar part. here is the link. http://www.justforjeeps.com/rermynara.html

2. Install the mic. kit. Its very easy. Just remove the pieces of the dash that cover the RER unit. If you can't do it I'm sure the dealer will do it for you for a price. Remove the unit. Then feed your mic. wire through the dash, connect it to the other included wire that plugs directly into the back of the RER unit. (center slot) I mounted my mic. directly centered above my instrument panel with the wire going through the square removable tab on the forward part of the dash. If you have any questions about how to take apart the dash you can just reply to this post and I'll try to respond to it.

3. Bring your Wrangler (and the Kit if you can't install it yourself) to the service dept. of your local JEEP dealer. Most likely they will not know exactly what to do. You have to tell them that you want to enable the U connect and to do that they need to change the VIN info with Chrysler's data base by entering the REQ- service code and then Flash the RER unit's memory (or "wake it up") through the Body Controller so it recognizes the new hardware (the mic.) Should cost no more than $70 (not including mic. installation) Thats it. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM
new-wrangler owner
Default enableing uconnect yourself

I to had to buy the microphone from the dealer. But there is no need to take it to the dealer to have them turn it on. Once you install the mic you can enable the uconnect.

1. Take the top dash cover off. (pop it off with a small screw driver. 2 clips close to the window side)

2. pop off the piece down below that has the mesh holder on it.(same thing. Pop off with the screwdriver. 2 clips on the top of it)

3. Remove the 2 screws on the top of the plastic dash piece and 2 on the bottom.

4. Remove the 4 screws holding the radio in.

5. Pull radio straight out

6 Plug cord from microphone kit into the middle slot in the back of the radio.

7. Run the microphone to where you want it.( Remember air from heater or outside will interfear with the mic. so put it low.)

8. Plug mic into cord.

9. Put everything back

10. Now turn radio on. Push the Menu button and the Seek UP and the Seek Down buttons at the same time. This will take you to the Engineer Menu. Here you can change multipil things. There are 5 pages. Go to page 4. The last option on page 4 is ENABLE JK VR/HFM. Click that line to turn it on.

11. Hit MENU and your good to go....

Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
RTan33
Default RSQ U-Connect Enable

I have an RSQ radio and I do not have a Menu button. Is there an equivalent button on the RSQ to get into the Engineer Menu?

Quick Reply: U-Connect HandsFree...