Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 04:57 AM
02JeepGC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes

I am the owner of a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited, and I have this problem with the brakes. I have had the rotors replaced 2 times in the past 2 years. I have heard about the brake rotors overheating and warping, but does anyone know what brakes would be best for me to get to replace? Money is no object, I just want good brakes that won't warp.

Old 08-14-2004, 05:34 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes

Baer eradi-speeds. They are cross-drilled lightweight and come with a lifetime warranty.

BE FOREWARNED, THEY ARE NOT CHEAP.

Baer brakes

when the window opens, click on the Eradispeed hyperlink on the left side of the screen.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:40 PM
02JeepGC

Thanks I'll definitely check them out.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:32 AM
GTCandGTSturbo
Veteran

We've had the same problems so I just got NON composite rotors with semi-metallic pads. I was told that these would not build up the heat like the stockers would. You may have to order them special from a parts guy who knows what he is doing. I think its just a 2002 thing. The crossdrilled idea may work as they dissipate heat better, but unless you race, I can see a cheaper upgrade working just as well to cure the problem.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Overland1
Amateur

Does your GC have the new style front brake calipers (silver/dual-piston)? These are part of a TSB upgrade that seems a lot better than the original brakes. Both of our GC's had this done more than 40,000 miles ago and still have the pads & rotors from that upgrade. The upgrade kit comes with the new calipers and pads, loaded and ready to go. These are Mopar pads, which are probably not the best in the world, but they are OK. The dealership with whom I do business offers Wagner pads and rotors as an option, along with offering the Mopar stuff. The price difference is minimal, so Wagner is the better deal.

Several years ago, I installed Stillen (cross-drilled) rotors on two of our Jeeps; they were fantastic, but they cost more than the NAPA, Wagner, or Raybestos parts. The improvement in stopping power was very noticeable. I bought them from a place in Arizona (kolak@aol.com); Nick's pricing is reasonable, and his service is excellent. The best pads I have used are from Stillen and Performance Friction.

If your calipers are finished in black, they are the old ones.... change them soon.

One other thing (aside from properly tightening the lug nuts with a really good torque wrench).... be sure to properly clean and re-lubrcate the caliper slide pins every so often. This can reduce caliper "sticking" and the resultant warpage problems.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 PM
josef15111
Veteran

not to be bringin up a old thread but i have a 01 GC limited and i have the dual piston calipers on mine. the question is what are they ate or some akobono name or something. i want to get some new sloted rotrs and new ceramics pads but wanna make sure i get the right ones. can some one help me and thanks

joe

Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know the answer without looking it up, so instead of looking it up for you and giving you the answer, I'll tell you a good place to look.
Goto 4 Wheel Parts, it'll let you input the specs of the vehicle (many parts sites are doing this now). Then input what you are looking for (rotors for example) it'll give you only those rotors compatible with your vehicle...

Quick Reply: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes