Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

HELP!! 93' yj with coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:26 PM
JoeT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 93' yj with coolant leak

I have a question for you yj mechanics out there.
2 weeks ago my car started to get hotter than usual so I pulled over and let the car cool down. I then checked and found that the engine had run itself dry. After looking over it I found that when I tried to pressurize the coolant system there was a leak at the the rad neck. It is a plastic one so the the cap area had worn out.
So, I bought and installed a new rad (metal) and now there is something else going wrong. After running the car long enough that the thermostat opens, there is coolant coming out of somewhere at the front of the engine and also it seems to be coming out of the bell housing off the back of the engine. I guess it could be a frost plug or something but maybe one of you have a better idea.
Any information or your experiences would be great for I dont know where to start.
Thanks

Old 08-19-2004, 12:54 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!! 93' yj with coolant leak

Does not sound good. You ran it dry and now it leaks? Sounds very much like a head gasket. There are a dozens possibilities though. Could be a water pump and a freeze plug, could be a cracked head, could be just core plugs, the list goes on.

Quick Reply: HELP!! 93' yj with coolant leak