Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

HELP ASAP, Oil filter wont come off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 PM
lucas3397
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ASAP, Oil filter wont come off.

I have a 97 grand cherokee and the oil filter wont come off for nothing. I have already broke a filter wrench, and practically drestroyed the filter itself. I have ran screwdrivers through it for levereage and all it did was destroy the filter even more. I have run out of ideas, any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Its my daily driver and all i have got. and fyi there is hardly nothing left of the filter so wrenches or anything of that kind is no longer possible.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
mazdab2600
Rookie
Default RE: HELP ASAP, Oil filter wont come off.

some engine's the threaded adapter that the filter fit's onto the center is a square drive 3/8
your's may have it and if you can fit the extension through whats left of the filter and remove the filter with the adapter then you can use a vise or something to hold the filter and remove the adapter and reinstall it with some sealer back on the engine

this might work unless your adapter is the style that has a nut on the outside with the threads then the filter will be in the way and other's are part of the assembly

Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: HELP ASAP, Oil filter wont come off.

Hey. If I were you I would get a heavier duty wrench, it sounds like the one you have wasnt a very good one, and you should be able to get a non swivel wrench in there. If that dosnt work, get a big pair of channel locks and see if you can get ahold of it. GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP, Oil filter wont come off.