K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

88 Aries high NO

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
dfraser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Aries high NO

My 88 Aries failed NO on its smog check. The literature suggests it is the EGR valve. It says to test it, with the car at idle, rev it to about 2500 RPM and see if the pintle in th EGR valve moves. The problem is that this is buried inside the valve and cannot be seen from the outide And I am unsure of running the car without the valve so I cam look inside as this is part of a closed loop system.

Any advice on testing the EGR.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 AM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to my trusty repair manual this is what it says regarding EGR testing (verbatim):

The symptoms of possible EGr system failure include spark knock, severe hesitation on acceleration or rough idle and stalling. Check the following items:

1.Start the engine and allow it to idle ion neutral with the throttle closed for over 1 minute. Abruptly accelerate the engine to 2k-3k rpms as you watch the groove in the EGR valve stem, the stem should move visibly if not proceed with the following.

2.Inspect all vacum hose connections between the carb/throttle body, intake manifold,and vacum transducer ( if the decal is still under the hood there should be a vac hose diagram on it) All connections must be leak free. Replace any hose that is hard, dry rotten, melted or cracked. Inspect the vacum passages in the carb/throttle body, if necessary remove the assembly from the engine and clean it.

The easiest way to find a vac leak is to spray all the vac hose connections and hoses with a little carb cleaner if you spray a hose or connection and the RPMs go up briefly thats where your leak is. (a tip from rare)

The next step is going require a hand operated vacum pump, if you dont have one most chain or mom and pop auto part stores have them. First let me know how this first part works for you if it doesnt well go on to testing vacum.

Quick Reply: 88 Aries high NO