K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

90 sundance problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 AM
90 sundance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 sundance problems

so im having a few problems with my 90 2.2 sundance with 3 speed auto
trans firs and biggest problem is it runs fine till in normal operating temp but when it warms to operating temp it runs fine under throttle and when in park and netural but when stopping in gear it idles rough and its only done it twice now but sometimes dies things ive done since ive goth the car include
new coil
new plugs note haven't done wires cap or rotor yet
new timing belt timing set to stock spec
180 degree thermostat
temp sending unit the one on the t stat housing
other regular maintenance such as new batt oil changes and such
other info
since ive got the car its ran rich and throws a code for an o2 sensor or o2 sensor wiring and it doesn't have a cat and there's an exhaust leak in the pipe that was put in there

second problem
shifting from first to second under more than half or so throttle the front end shakes and vibrates i know it needs an alignment i can tell just from looking !!! the front wheels look to point out farther than they should in the front of the wheel than the back my question is could this be my vibration as it only happens when ther are either 2 people in the car in the front seats or under highway acceleration

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely the running rough at idle is one of 2 things. 1) A vacuum leak. 2) Dirty butterfly valve in your intake. For a vacuum leak look all around the top end of your engine for a small diameter rubber hose that isn't connected to something or a broken line. For the butterfly, take off the hose that runs from your air filter to the intake and there's a round thing that appears to block the intake-that's the intake or MAS valve that opens and closes as needed to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio. If there is any build up on it, it will interrupt the air/fuel mixing and cause it to idle poorly. That is very, very common on all K's. As for the front end vibration, worn struts are a very common cause of severe vibration under heavy throttle. So I'd check those closely before you get an alignment, since you'll have to get an alignment if you have to replace them anyway.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing that will cause vibration up front is a bad cv axle. I just replaced both of mine. The inside joints had worn out.

Quick Reply: 90 sundance problems