Magnum SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is the most extreme factory wagon.

Magnum SRT with little power!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Carolina Magnum
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum SRT with little power!

I bought a dealer demo 06 Magnum SRT8 with 1700 miles on it and it now has 3777 miles. For some reason this car seem extremely slow to me. I cannot understand why is has so little power. When I take off at WOT, the rear just squats down, sounds like two four barrels kicking in and it takes off but NOT with any REAL power. My other cars, i.e. 95 Z/28 is WAY faster and more powerful. Here is what I have either tried or heard about!
1. Was told to turn off ESP and take off @ WOT... tried that and no difference. I tried this several times!
2. Remove fuse # 11 to reset computer... DID NOT try this!
3. While running @ 10-15 MPH turn key to start position (was told this will not hurt car), wait for chime... this is supposed to shut down the ESP and reset everything, so I have been told. DID NOT try this either (too scary)

*** Just can't understand why this SRT seems so SLOW. I've heard they have awesome power. Can't prove it by me! ***
Any help or information would be appreciated!

Thank you, Jim

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Carolina Magnum
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...... check the date on this THREAD = 8-21-2008 !!!!!!!!

It has taken ME all this time to finally get the problem with this car straighted out and it was another FORUM MEMBER that figured it out.

It seems my internal computer program was written on 4/20/05. My friend believes this MAY BE one of the very first Magnum SRT's every produced with a production date of June 05. When he hooked up his laptop and star scan tool he fist comment to me was: "WOW, you must have a "Huge lag" at WOT take offs and shifting between gears." That IS what I have been trying to tell everyone. I even tried to BRAKE TORQUE take off and the car would almost stall out. Really dissapointed power and performance. (I have an 05 RT Magnum and it has WAY BETTER throttle response ~ at Least it did). To make a long story short.... he upgraded my internal computer program to the latest he had from 2009 and immediately it ran some better. He recommended a Diablo Predator, which I finally got and hooked up.

OMG ~ NOW this car is a BEAST. It will hardly take off without baking the tires NOW. It feels like at least 100 horsepower has been added.

Finally my SRT runs like it should! (It just turned 10,500 miles). I refuse to drive it in any inclement weather.

Thanks for listening....

Shadowpictureby004.jpg?t=1293986316

Quick Reply: Magnum SRT with little power!