Magnum SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is the most extreme factory wagon.

No Power to Coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Heatseeker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power to Coils

I know this is a Dodge forum, but all of the Chrysler forums don't seem to get much traffic. I'm at my wits end after two days of trying to figure this thing out.

Here's my story:

06 300 SRT8, 110k miles(Mama's car).
Transmission was leaking pretty badly at plug and front seal. Rather than try to repair the trans I had and tie up my neighbor's rack for days, I decided to pop for a low mile used trans and swap it. The swap went pretty well and the car fired up first try afterwards and was going down the road burning fuel. Took mama for a test spin and the world was good again.

She took the car to work yesterday and afterwards had to run some errands. To this point, life is still good. I get a call as I was climbing off my bike at the house after work that mama is broke down. She said she went through a car wash and the car started acting up. She pressed on until it died and was now on the side of the road. She called AAA and got the car home. The trans was still full with no signs of leakage. Engine oil level is full as well.

I immediately ran it for codes and it had 8 stored codes:
P2302
P2305
P2308
P2311
P2314
P2317
P2320
P2323

All of these codes come up as coil secondary faults(cylinders A-H). I cleared the codes and attempted to start the car. It cranks with no hint of firing.

I checked to ensure that all the connections and grounds that were disturbed during the trans swap were still connected. Everything seems to be in order there.

What would cause all 8 coils to fault? Cam position sensor? Crank position sensor?(note: #5 coil was cracked but looks like it has been that way for a while. I replaced it).
Could something electronic in the trans cause this, or is it just a cruel coincidence?

I borrowed a Snap On scanner and was able to test the ASD, which shows good. I saw a signal from the Crank Position Sensor and I thought I saw a signal from the Cam Position Sensor, but couldn't find the screen a second time to verify... During testing of the ASD I noticed it switching on momentarily during cranking, backing up my belief that I'm getting a crank signal. I checked the resistance on the cam sensor but got no readings.

I'm looking for direction on where to go from here. Mama is not happy, so you all know how that goes...

I really miss the days of carburetors and distributors about now...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Quick Reply: No Power to Coils