Magnum SRT-8 That thing got a Hemi? Indeed, a 6.1L Hemi that is. The Dodge Magnum SRT-8 is the most extreme factory wagon.

To Sell or Not to Sell (a story of parts availability)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Instigator59
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy To Sell or Not to Sell (a story of parts availability)

Hello all, I’m new to this forum; but not to Magnum SRT8 ownership. I’m the second owner of a 2006 Magnum SRT8 which I purchased from a Dodge dealership in Seekonk, MA back in CY2012. Since it already had everything I wanted wrt to options (i.e., heated seats, tow hitch, 100 W subwoofer, and navigation package); beyond maintenance, I’ve only added staggered wheels (American Racing Torque Thrust: 8.5” Front, 10” Rear) and a WeatherTech car cover.

Now, after 11 years of ownership, I find myself at a crossroads.

· On the one hand, I love the car’s power and performance. All the maintenance is up to date; I recently had the throttle body, rear main engine seal, and all O2 sensors replaced.

· On the other hand, since Dodge made the front and rear bumper cover NLA, I’m afraid the drive my daily driver in traffic! Recently, I got hit backing out of my driveway by another car. The damage was minor; i.e., rear bumper cover was cracked and the driver-side muffler tip was bent. However, it took 3 months and two body shops to find an original SRT8 bumper cover (not an R/T bumper cover). In my case, neither body shop wanted to repair the damage; they weren’t restoration shops, so they just wanted to find the part and install it instead of going through extensive plastic welding the get the cover back in shape. In the end, the 2nd body shop found an eBay seller who had one slightly damaged one that he had bought to repair his wife’s Magnum SRT8. His wife’s car was silver; so, he sold me the black one that he originally found after he found a silver one.

Now that the car is back from the body shop and the mechanic, I’m back in love again. I don’t want to sell it; but I don’t want to NOT find the right parts for it should fate show up at my door again.

Questions:

1. Has anyone else found a supply for Magnum SRT8 bumper covers?

2. Are there good alternatives to find a Magnum SRT8 bumper cover?

3. Has anyone else dealt with this dilemma (and came up with a resolution that didn’t make their car either a “Cars and Coffee” show piece or a weekend (no rain) driver?

I welcome the wisdom that this forum has to offer.

Last edited by Instigator59; 08-13-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

You have the same issue as anyone with a classic/antique vehicle. If it's not available from the the factory(nos, New Old Stock) or aftermarket/good used you are out of luck. May try google searching the factory part # or look for a good used one on car part.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:29 PM
Instigator59

Originally Posted by Moparite
You have the same issue as anyone with a classic/antique vehicle. If it's not available from the the factory(nos, New Old Stock) or aftermarket/good used you are out of luck. May try google searching the factory part # or look for a good used one on car part.
@Moparite thanks for the reply. Up until the accident, I didn't consider my Magnum as either a classic or an antique. It was supposed to be the "reliable and fun" car that I was using to keep miles off my "classic/antique" 1993 BMW and my 1989 Porsche.

I agree that most of the NLA/NOS parts can be sourced via eBay. However, given that they only made ~3200 2006 Magnum SRT8s, the only way you can source a bumper cover is from a wrecked SRT8--and how often do you see/find those?. The only Magnum SRT8 owners that have it worse are the folks who scored a 2008 Magnum SRT8!.

Since most of us 2006-2007 Magnum SRT8 owners are in the same boat wrt the bumper covers, maybe I'll reach out to Dodge to see if they will open-source the CAD drawings of the bumper covers so that someone with the right stuff can help out those of us who don't want to be in fear of every other car on the road. As a wise man said, "Nothing beat failure but a try."

The following users liked this post:
CaliRN (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:05 PM
CaliRN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m dealing with the same problem. Got hit on the freeway 18 months ago and haven’t been able to find a rear bumper for my ‘06. I love this car but it’s so frustrating to have a broken bumper and no way to get a new one (that isn’t aftermarket ugly crap).

You know it’s bad when I consider buying another Magnum as a “parts” car. Right after I win the lottery, of course.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:02 PM
Instigator59

Originally Posted by CaliRN
I’m dealing with the same problem. Got hit on the freeway 18 months ago and haven’t been able to find a rear bumper for my ‘06. I love this car but it’s so frustrating to have a broken bumper and no way to get a new one (that isn’t aftermarket ugly crap).

You know it’s bad when I consider buying another Magnum as a “parts” car. Right after I win the lottery, of course.
@CaliRN , I hear you; I was feeling queasy about my bumper cover quest after two months! A "very good" bodyshop tech might be able to "plastic-weld" the cover back into shape--assuming that you can find that guy in your town who will even consider to do the work at a reasonable cost--however, that's only good until the next accident.

I believe that this problem has a solution; but, I struggling to figure out what it could be (beyond finding a "unicorn" parts car that has all the parts that you need sitting in a salvage yard).

Quick Reply: To Sell or Not to Sell (a story of parts availability)