Members Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting.

1983 Pearl White Dodge Mirada 340

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1983 Pearl White Dodge Mirada 340

It was my first car when i turned 16. This is how it looked when I bought it, and put some money into body work. It was in very poor shape when i got it but a friend of my dads who owns a custom shop got it looking nice, and it actually won some car show awards, mostly due to how clean and how rare it is..
this picture was taken in 1995 or 1996.

I started driving right after i turned 16, and i was into stereo nonsense and showing the car. But about 6 months after getting my license, i was at a drag strip/show event in ohio, and my dad told me to tech in and make a pass. the stock 140hp 318 ran an amazing 18.72. yeah, thats right...18.72. it had about 170,000 miles on the stock drivetrain, but we came across a cheap junkyard 340 from a cuda. what a find, huh? well, as you can see from this next picture (circa 1997) there was some body work involved to help the 340 breate, and i loved the black hood. when we first got the 340 in, it ran mid 14s. my dad and i always said that if it ran 14s, we would be happy, but it came so easily with ALL junkyard parts, we kept at it. new gears (3.91), new transmission (well, both junkyard pieces) and with those parts the car got into the high 13s.

the stock low performance heads were beginning to show their peak abailities, so we bought a slightly less-cheap head setup, new cam, roller top end...we added some nice light wheels, lightened up the interior, and got a bit less gawdy hood, and 4.10s...and the old girl got into the very low 13s. late in the season, while chasing that 12 second slip at norwalk, i ran a 13.000, and on the next run the transmission went away. so it would be until the following season before i got into the 12s, but it did so...here is a picture from around 2002 (youll notice a jump in time as i was paying my way through college)

(look at the old girl trying to carry that left front wheel! )

2005 brought about some more lightweight goodies such as the fiberglass trunklid and aluminum rear bumper...some other items like a new carb, a freshened up convertor,and some 4.56 gears, the 3700lb track weight mirada went a best of 12.68, at around 105mph.

then we are to the most present picture. this was from 2006ish...and it was mostly trim work in the off season, and some more tuning...along with some seat time, the sled got into the 12.40s, but still was running lean on the front cylinders, and we found a leak in the intake manifold gasket, and the next night it went its best, 12.39 @ 107.86with a short time of 1.653. sadly, i didnt get a slip for that run, but i did get the 12.40s slips...so i generally state my best as being 12.43...still, for a car that tips the scales right around 3700lbs, running on 87 octane, im pretty please. thats right, it runs on 87 octane, when the motor went together in 1996, i couldnt afford good pistons, so we bought the cheapest pistons that i could find, and those same pistons are still in the car. the bottom end saw something like 25,000 street miles and over 1100 runs before spinning a bearing and wiping out the crank in april of 2007.

here is a picture of the car in 2006, the day that she ran her best time...

and a picture taken at the track on the day that i tore up the bottom end this year...it still ran a 12.9-something coasting across the finish line at somewhere around 50mph...i had a 1.79 short time on that run and a 8.0 8thmile, although my 8th trap was low, so it was already failing at that point...but the car has made every run of its life with 87/89 octane in it.

there is a new bottom end kit in storage right now, but other projects have gotten in the way...mostly my 1972 dodge demon 340, which has a thread of its own!!

Specs: 1983 Dodge Mirada
Engine:
1969 Plymouth 340
Stock crank and rods, 30 over low compression pistons (9:1)
1988 360 heads, heavily ported, 1.88/1.60 valves
Mopar 528 purple shaft
1.6 roller rockers
Edelbrock AirGap intake manifold
Barry Grant 750dp (lawsuit carb)
Flowtech 1 5/8 headers
3" custom exhaust
flowmaster 40s
Moroso KoolKan
MSD 6A ignition
leanburn full advance distributor
holley high volume electric fuel pump
Moroso electric water pump
twin electric fans

Transmission:
Chrysler 727
Manual Valve Body
hurst Quarter Stick
4000 stall

Rearend, brakes, suspension:
Chrysler 8.75 diff
richmond 4.56 gears, spooled
Rear Drum Brakes (stock)
Front Disc Brakes (stock)
60/40 front shocks
front sway bar removed
7 leaf rear springs
differential snubber
Hoosier Quick Time Pro 26x11.5x15
Drag skinnies up front

Interior Modifications:
a-body seats
rear seat delete
carpeting and padding removed
trunk lining and contents removed
5" Drag'on tachometer
(The car still has working power windows)

Exterior modifications:
Light weight aluminum front fascia supports
Fiberglass hood with hemi super stock scoop (functional, with cold air box)
Fiberglass trunk lid

Track weight of 3691, fully streetable.

a nice clean, current shot

and a little burnout video that my wife made from a handful of still photos..

Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight up badass! I kind of like the wheels you have on it in the first pic.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unconventional badassness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1983 Pearl White Dodge Mirada 340