Members Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting.

Need help 98 neon r/t trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 AM
jj05srt4_98rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 98 neon r/t trans

Hey everyone my name is Zack i am new to the forum. I need help with my daily driver. First off about me i am 21 served time in army in afghanistan and now home and working for a part supplier for the big 3. I own a 2005 dodge neon srt-4 and a 97 dodge neon r/t 2.0 dohc the car im having the problem with. The problem with the car i recently put a new clutch and flywheel in and while i was doing that noticed that my bell housing was cracked. I got a new bell housing my first bell housing was from a 96 and the bell housing i picked up was from a 95. The bell housings from appearance look the exact same but i am having trouble getting it to bolt up to the trans i keep breaking a bearing. Is there any difference or is it just a pain to get it on. Now i got it the bell housing to go on perfect when i took the bearing and another piece out. Im almost positive its the right bell housing. Is it just a pain and you have to play with until you get it on right?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Just a pain to get on. The r/t trans is different in it's clutch components. If you are breaking the throwout bearing you are doing something very wrong or the slave cylinder is not engaging like it should. I've never changed the clutch my neons but have on several other models. Some throwout bearing clutch arms have a pivot ball that can keep the bearing from seating properly so check to see that it isn't worn or broken. In all fairness bolting up a manual trans sometimes requires a lot of movement on the engine and tranny to get it to mate just right. I use thin punches to line up the best possible way without threading and rethreading the bolts until i get them aligned and close feeling the trans engaged. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the 1st gen manuals were all cable and not hydraulic so no slave cylinder. Just wanted to point that out. Its been a while since I've removed one of my transmissions but even then all my Neons are SOHC but I do remember that it did take a lot of work trying to get everything lined up and the transmission on.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
d46313neon
Amateur

Neons b fun till they break i personly just did a clutch on my 98 coupe im tryin to find a rt tranny to throw in it tho. Hey if its all together now and it moves then its all good as long as theres no odd noises comming from it. Lol have fun with the srt4 and ur rt. Beatifull mopar magic at its finest. Thank you for serving our country i tip my hat to you

Quick Reply: Need help 98 neon r/t trans