Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Another Catch Can "Article"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:35 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Catch Can "Article"

Catch Can Filtration

After having a “discussion” with other Forum members, I decided to attempt to do some researches on the subject of catch cans. The reason for the discussion is to validate the “$20 OCC” versus some of the much higher priced models from companies such as Greddy.

Let me first start with the two filtration units I am using for discussion:
Campbell Hausfeld http://www.chpower.com Part No. MP513810
Greddy http://www.greddy.com Part No. 13500509-15

It should be quickly pointed out that the Greddy does not give information regarding particulate filtration size (which means, how big is the gunk that the filter blocks), so this isn’t really a comparison of the two units, it is just to give some information that I have found. I have tried contacting Greddy via email about the particle size their filters allow through, but have not received any word from them as of yet.

The unit of measure used with the filters is the micrometer [micron] (which is 0.001 millimeters – which is pretty darn small! Go get a ruler and look at how big 1mm is, now imagine 0.001mm! – this is narrower than a human hair).

So with this in mind, from the Campbell website:
“The MP5138, mini general purpose filter protect tools and equipment by removing most solid and liquid contaminants. This may include dust, dirt, pipe scale, rust, liquid water and bulk oil. A 5-micron filter element removes the smallest of particles. See-through bowl allows easy monitoring of fluid level. Features a manual drain and screw-on bowl. Mini series provides up to 21 SCFM flow capacity at 90 PSI. 150 PSI maximum pressure. 1/4-inch female NPT ports.”

Notice it has a 5-micron filter which traps/filters particulate that is 5-microns or larger. Also note that according to the website it should stop “bulk oil”. At this time I do not know the PSI rating that is flowing through the PCV valve, but I would make a safe assumption that the pressure is far less than 90 PSI. The online cost of this unit is $13.00 plus shipping and handling and requires proper fittings and hose to work effectively for the “catch can” purpose (prices can vary).

Using the website http://www.mcmaster.com which sales “industrial” supplies to machine tool builders and the likes, many hydraulic oil filters have ratings that vary depending on application – some of the smallest being 3-microns up to 25-microns (some even go over 100-microns). So in a nutshell what does this mean to me?? Using an industrial filter gives many options for size, pressure requirements, gallons per minute (gpm) and cost. These filters are specific for the use of filtering oils and contaminate from air.

It is my assumption (notice this is my opinion and I leave the “facts” for you to decide on your own) that “$20 Oil Catch Can” if using the Campbell filter listed above is an acceptable substitute to other manufacturers. Again, my guess to cost differences ($104.00 for the Greddy unit according to their website) are as follows: units such as the Greddy are highly polished and machined units with anodized fittings for appearance minded individuals (note, I am not saying this is bad at all!). Units like the Greddy come with all the necessary equipment in the kit (fittings, hose, and the filter) and again, when you start machining things and polishing things, the cost instantly increases (I work for a machine tool company, I like to think I have some awareness of this concept).

So what does all this mean? The Greddy unit and similar units will work, they are specifically designed for this application. But what about the “homemade” units? It is my opinion by the reasons above that the “$20 Catch Can” is a useful item and is as effective as other higher priced units. Until I receive word from Greddy or any other manufacturer explaining the differences in a logical manner, I stand by my decision.

(These views are what I have found for information, feel free to expand, question, comment on points I have addressed. These views are only my opinions and views, they are not intended to “flame”, hurt, or otherwise cause conflict to this Forum, its members, or their vehicles).

Old 09-03-2004, 04:43 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Another Catch Can "Article"

I had a Greddy and got rid of it in favor of the $20 OCC "homemade" unit. It has worked perfectly so far and collects the "blow-by" oil just as well as the more expensive ones. There are also more options to mount it since it is smaller and can fit in many places the Greddy can't.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:35 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Greddy looks frickin' nice, but for the price of it it's not. I saved myself a ton of money by simply getting the $20 OCC instead.

Old 11-06-2004, 10:29 PM
TurboPowered
Veteran

I havent done the catch can but i am going to do it tomorrow ......and also install my Moapr BOV , i cant wait i am going to do some serious driving since i don't have school monday

Old 11-07-2004, 05:57 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your gonna love the BOV and you'll notice a good amount of oil in your OCC if your gonna drive it alot.

Quick Reply: Another Catch Can "Article"