Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

WHY CAI ON A TURBO CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004 | 10:51 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: WHY CAI ON A TURBO CAR?

I'm not certain about "massive" HP gains with a CAI. You're still running that air through a very, very hot engine compartment on it's way to the turbo. Referring back to Modern Performance and their dyno run on a 2003 SRT-4 with a Stage 1 upgrade, a Mopar/Borla exhaust and a CAI the gain was 25HP. Which mod made the most difference? My Stage 1 gives my 2004 SRT-4 a 10 HP boost according to Mopar. That leaves 15 HP to be divided up between the Mopar/Borla exhaust and the CAI. The fact that the 2004 SRT-4 already has the larger fuel injectors that the 2003 model ran on the dyno test, makes me even less sure of the value of CAI gains. There are numbers out there to support virtually anyone's mods; however, I prefer Mopar's habit of understating performance figures and Modern Performance's record of quality service and research on their own SRT-4's

Old 09-08-2004 | 07:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Tisk, tisk, tisk, read what I wrote.[sm=wakeup.gif][sm=nothatway.gif] JK I said massive benefits, not massive HP gains. I would never claim massive HP gains from a CAI on any car, a good gain perhaps but not massive. The overall benefits from a CAI on a turbocharged car are massive as it not only increases volume and flow, but also reduces intake temperatures and turbocharger operating temperatures, combined these result in massive benefits.[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 09-08-2004 | 07:33 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

ORIGINAL: SRTFOUR

Thanks for your replys guys. But I'd rather just save the money I would have spent on a cai and put it towards buying a bigger intercooler and a co2 intercooler sprayer. I think thats more effective, and it cools the intake charge a lot more.
A larger intercooler is a waste of money unless you plan on going for around 350+ horsepower or more, the stock intercooler is more than large enough and efficient enough for power levels up to that point. I have even read that the stock intecooler is good for up to 500 horsepower until a larger one will be better.

The CO2 intercooler sprayer will cost as much as if not more than a CAI, but it will be very good for performance. If you want to do it to gain the added benefit of helping the turbocharger stay cooler you can get the intake cooler that uses a tear drop shaped bulb in the intake tube that passes the CO2 through it. You can also maximize the performance by using both the intercooler and intake cooler at the same time.

Old 09-09-2004 | 04:49 PM
SRTFOUR

You're right roadrunner. After reading everyones opinoins I don't think a bigger intercooler is needed for now. Just hard pipes. I don't think those plastic OEM ones will hold up under high boost.

Old 09-09-2004 | 09:46 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

My bad, RR!! I've got HP on the brain, seems as though everyone is PMing me with HP gain questions!! But my doubts about cost-effective performance gains remain. The stock box and the CAI draw air from roughly the same area, maybe a foot apart, but at speed, would that make a difference?

I've yet to see any reliable numbers of performance gains for CAIs other than the normal stuff from the companies that make them and so called experts on other forums. I can agree that the air flow would be a little smoother thru the CAI tube, but the power gain would be moderate, at best. I also believe in Mother Mopar and the fact that they haven't come out with a CAI (but they did come out with a high performance air filter)
also makes me think twice. I admit your CAI looks cool as hell in your "vampire-black" SRT-4 though!!!

Old 09-10-2004 | 05:35 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

they're high performance filter is a k&n, btw.

Old 09-10-2004 | 12:46 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Mopar has not been able to come up with a CAI that is better than what the aftermarket has already come out with and if they put one out it would not out perform them, but it would be more expensive than the aftermarket CAI's. This is the main reason Mopar hasn't made a CAI, it's just not cost effective for them in the long run.

Quick Reply: WHY CAI ON A TURBO CAR?