Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Newbie needs a little advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:27 AM
nickm0001
Default Newbie needs a little advise

I'm looking at the SRT4 and I've been looking for a while. I need to know some goods and bad things about these cars. I've always just heard here say there say. I'll type what I know, but I'd like to know of your guys/girls experences with these cars. I know the big difference between the 03 and the 04/05 series the LSD in the diffs. But are there any other different options like injector sizes? Stuff like this would be nice. I've also heard very few bad things about these cars, but the big things I've heard is that some people have problems with boost leaks and oil leaks after not to many miles. Other problems like wheel bearings/hub assemblies I understand those things happen. But whats the main causes of the oil leaks and the boost leaks, would it be people beating on there cars and not letting the oil cool down first or....?? All of which I'm sure I could fix, but I'd like to know what could cause issues so that I could keep away from making mistakes.

Thanks a bunch for any help,
Nick

Old 05-18-2007 | 01:57 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Newbie needs a little advise

After 3 1/2 years with my SRT-4, my only problems have been a blown heat sensor and cracked headlights.......both replaced under warranty. I've never lost a drop of oil. What you hear may be related to the need for an oil catch can to keep oil out of the intercooler. Many SRT-4 owners installOCC's, it's not a major project. As far as boost leaks go, there are certain points on the SRT-4 engine where clamps can work loose.......once again, not a major issue.

Dusty

Old 05-18-2007 | 04:35 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

wheel bearings are not a problem on this car, not sure where you got that from.

the bottom line with these car is this: if you take care of her she'll take care of you. do regular maintenence (oil changes, spark plugs and wires, pcv valve,boost leak checks, etc) you'll have little to no problems. if you don't, you'll pay for it later on. these are not hard cars to maintain, but you do have to maintain them. they're not civics that you can go 10k between oil changes and 5 years on a single set of plugs and the car won't complain at you. she will. just take care of it and you'll be good.

with all the abuse i give my car and all the crap that i've broken due to modding and what not i have been extremly pleased with the way that the car has held up. no major issues other than crap i did.

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:43 PM
AirWolf

What Ive been lookin for is if the engine has been beaten up and extensive mods most of the time means they have raced it alot . I would look for an almost stock engine wise srt4 and 20 thousand or less for the miles .If the tires still have nice tread life on them than your good to go with that ride.

Old 05-19-2007 | 04:36 AM
DurangoDango

From what my buddy tells me, there's tons of customization available for the srt line.

Old 08-20-2007 | 06:55 PM
Hotness21

[:@]My car is an 04 and it runs great never had any problems my man says my car runs better than his 06 silverado But i baby my car im 22 and only ever had a neon We have not had one problem since i bought it new in 04[8D]

Quick Reply: Newbie needs a little advise