Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

HID's??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007 | 06:25 PM
SRT_YA
|
Record Breaker
Default HID's??

What's the scoop? HID lighting for the car?? I hear (okay, read) all kinds of things about retro kits... and projectors... and don't get this kind, don't get that kind... blah, blah, blah... it makes my head hurt. I haven't been able to find a good answer!

I'd like to update my lighting on the front of my car (I have terrible problems driving at night and being able to see, and the HID's look sweet!). the few people I have tried to contact on the "other" site haven't been helpful to say the least!

anyone know more about HID's, where to get a quality kit (set), what's involved, cost, and all that other important stuff??

thanks guys/gals - jermz

Old 06-27-2007 | 07:59 PM
PSI Chick
Champion
Default RE: HID's??

just get a set of prolumen's and call it a day. they run about $250 or so if i remember right, and you can get a set with high beams for $350 or so. prolumen gives a lifetime warranty, so no worries. installs in about 20 minutes. all you need to do is decide what kelvin you want.

Old 06-27-2007 | 11:49 PM
SRT_YA
|
Record Breaker

Amy - did you use optionJDM.com or is there another site that you trust?

are you running at set in your car? does it just "plug right in"?? or did you have to mod your assembly at all??

as always - thanks for the info!

- jermz

Old 06-28-2007 | 04:58 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

i have the prolumen 6k kit on my car. been in for about a year now. makes a HUGE difference at night. it's a white, slightly blue color to it. i personally think it's a great choice in kelvin. it's while and has very good light output, but still has a little blue in it. if you want awhite white color then the 4100 or 4300 are going to be a better choice. the higher you go the more blue/purple you get, the lower the more yellow.

HID kits nowlitterally plugs right in. there's a few wires that attach into the slots in the headlight harness, the longest part is trying to figure out which wire goes on what side lol. it's all of three wires though, so it's not exactly that difficult. it literally took me longer to take out and put back in my headlights than it did installing the hid kit. the only kind of pain is figuring out somewhere to mount the ballasts at. i have my stuck on my fmic. others just zip tie them out of the way. in the kit it actually gives you mounting brackets and all, i just didn't feel like installing them. yea i got lazy haha.

i got my set through n2mb a while ago, they have since stopped selling hid's though. just google prolumen hid's and find the cheapest price. the kits are universal so you can get it from anywhere. just be sure to get a 9007 bulb size. fyi - element motorsports has hid kits for $199, might want to try them. they're not prolumen however and have a one year warranty, which is pretty standard for most hid kits. just stay away from the ebay kits and you should be fine though.

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:38 AM
SRT_YA
|
Record Breaker

thanks for the info...

I'd love to snag a pair of TL and do a retro... but... I'm a cheap @$$... ha-ha...

do you have the glare issue? I saw that Element Motorsports was selling some for cheap...

I checked out HIDplanet.com... those guys are just nuts on the forum over there... nuts! (in a good way I suppose).

a little more research - and I guess I'll order something... we'll see... ha-ha...

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:05 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

what glare issue? i have no glare????

Old 06-28-2007 | 01:39 PM
SRT_YA
|
Record Breaker

Glare:

No Glare:

Borrowed from: Haknslash @ srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203383

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:20 PM
Plan B
Captain

Man, that second set of HIDs make mine look like ***! I don't see how they get the lines so crisp. Wouldn't that be due to the housing though instead of the bulb/HID kit?

Old 06-28-2007 | 05:26 PM
SRT_YA
|
Record Breaker

Plan - that is my understanding yes... it's the reflective material used in our housing that causes the HID's to look like poo...

Is there a projector style Neon headlight assembly out there?? I think I've seen one (or two) before... hmmm...

"TRUE" HID's are awesome... but, right now to get that quality, you have to make your own (again, as I understand it).

Old 06-28-2007 | 07:02 PM
Plan B
Captain

I've seen some projector style headlights on the other forum. There are a couple people that fab them. I don't think there is an official company that is producing them though. They look kind of odd though, just a little round 'pearl' looking lense in a big black headlamp. If they could find a way to alter all the unused space in the headlamp area it would look a lot better imo.