Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

battery help???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery help???

ok well i need a new battery again 2nd one in a month....my system keeps draining it i let my car run for like an hour after jumping and it sat for 2 days went to start today wont start..now either bad alternator or my system fried the cells of the battery and now wont hold a charge...so. needless to say it was a 45 dollar walmart battery...junkers...my system has killed a battery every other month in my last car walmart got tired of seeing me..sooooo i think i want to buy a yellow top optima...will that drop right in and fit?? if not i was thinking ill buy a new battery and a yellow top, place the yellow top in the trunk and run my power cable bat to bat to cap to amp. then ill ground the trunk bat where it is and run the ground to cap etc. but if i can get a yellow top to drop right in itll save some money and time...anyone know?? thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional
Default RE: battery help???

it also hsnt been over 20 degrees up here the last week n a half so the cold is making it that much harder for it to crank when it could lol

Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Burnnout
All Star

If your battery is draining with the car off then you have some kind of parasitic load..... putting a different type of battery in isn't going to fix the problem. If you have a ridiculously big amp and sub it could be the alternatornot keeping up with the demands of your stereo, thereforethe battery will not be charged enough to re-start the car.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

there is no direct fit optima

Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

ok so i dont know if i mentioned this before but i found my problem i think...my power wire from cap to amp was loose the screw was like all the way out...this happened to me before i just forgot aobut it till now. so whenever the wires moved what would happen is the amp would like stay on after the car was off because a couple strands were hanging out touching the remote wire, hence draining the capacitor. that was causing the cap to drain my battery..so do you think a good charge of both my battery and cap. will solve my problem. i fixed my wiring threadlocked the screw so it shouldnt happen again...so should i change my battery still or try recharging them both.. and i went to napa today. they priced me a battery made by optimal never heard of them but has the same EXACT specs as an optima yellow top battery, its a heavy duty gel cell battery basically identical with a different look, and it will drop right in length and width are same as stock battery, but heigh is 1/8th taller...you think 1/8th is enuogh to make terminals hit the hood? and do you think i should spend the 150 bucks on that battery when the optima brand is 190. any ideas or info would help thanks girls and guys!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

correction the battery is by exide and they call it "orbital"

Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Burnnout
All Star

Those batterys are normally a waste of money IMO .... Try to save the money and charge the battery, if the charge won't hold buy a new one. Be happy it was easy, some parasitic loads are a pain.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

i figured the battery might be a waste specially because i dont like store brand items.....but i mean like i said before same exact specs as an optima yellow top...are those junk too? if i need to replace a battery i might as well get a good one...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

Dusty

Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Kapitald
Captain

well...a stonger alternator will always help...you can checkout my setup on youtube it never got even close to killing my old neon...its soon to be in my srt4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XyCx7fkzM0s

Quick Reply: battery help???