Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
PSI Chick
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: compression

the engine that was in the car, was this your original engine? who fixed it the first time?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

the first motor I only broke the tone ring but I was told it was gonna be really expensive to fix and i would be better off buying a short block so I bought a complete motor off e-bay and put the original in my garage. I had vivid racing put the ebay motor in, whichh they did a terrible job so I pulled it from vivid and took it to UMS TUNING. Now I am putting the original motor back in, fixing the tone ring and UMS is doing all of that

Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Plan B
Captain

Every case of a bad tone ring I have seen have destroyed the crank in the process. Probably why they told you it was cheaper to buy a shortblock. I'd be weary of putting the old block in. They don't make smaller bearings for the crank, so you can't regrind it. Just make sure everything on the crank specs out first...

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

The tone ring actually did not break. There are three bolts that hold it to the crank and 2 of the 3 backed themselves out while I was driving and while the crank was spinning the 2 heads of the bolts broke off

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Plan B
Captain

I would still have it all measured and spec'd out... Just a safety percaution

Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 AM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

What should i have measured... I appreciate the concern

Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Plan B
Captain

The crank journals and possibly the rod bearings if you still have them. Just to make sure nothing was tweaked/flattened/scored. The reason 'they' suggest that you buy a new shortblock if you have an issue with the crank is because they do not make smaller rodbearings so you can't machine the crank. Since you had to buy a shortblock the crank specs would be of concern. Re-using a damaged crank could cause a lot of issues. No need to buy yet another shortblock...

Even found the measurements for ya!
Limits of taper or out of round on any crankshaft journals should be held to 0.025 mm (0.001 in.). Journal grinding should not exceed 0.305 mm (0.012 in.) under the standard journal diameter.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

I was told to buy a new short block cuz it would be more cost effective. the labor to tear down and build a motor is more expensive than a new short block from dodge. But i will definately have that looked at

Old 06-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Plan B
Captain

That makes sense. I didn't even think about labor costs because my buddies and I do all our own work (too poor to pay someone else to do it, lol).

Old 06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

Ya i will work on all my friends cars but not mine, well I'll do all the bolt ons but anything regarding internals or tuning I dont trust myself. I know how hard I drive this thing and I dont want it to blow up cuz i did something wrong (lol even tho this is the 2nd time its blown ha)

Quick Reply: compression