Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

1st gen owner looking at srt-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM
expresso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen owner looking at srt-4

hey all,
Can't say I have been on the srt-4 forums before but I am on the 1st gen. Anyways, I have a 99 plymouth expresso right now and browsing for a new car I came across a 05 SRT-4. Long story short, I went to go look at it today and the dealership doesn't know much about it and well its a ford dealership so I wasn't surprised when I pointed out more things than the salesman. Once I popped the hood i realized something....and quickly acted like nothing was different(behold a stage 3 turbo, with a aftermarket intercooler, motor mounts, wastegate...whole nine yards). Umm can I take this for a test drive?? SURE, THEN it gets better, it has a short throw shifter in it and a/f guage. Not to mention this is one of the limited edition models. The GM of the dealer was telling me be careful this drives REALLY fast and does about 350-400hp. OH yes sir i will thanks. LOL

SO i want to know what are the pros and cons about the srt-4's, what major problems should i look for. Not sure if I am getting this car yet or not but...since the price is right i think i might. it has 38k incase your wondering. Links below to pics!

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?i...xteriorsd8.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4enginelx1.jpg

Last edited by expresso; 10-26-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: updated links
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Kapitald
Captain

Well it doesn't look like a show car under the hood lol...looks like they had only speed in mind (thats fine)... The exterior of the car looks great... How much is the price tag? I cant tell in the pic that its a stage 3 but i can make out that boost controller...
Cons for this car...sometimes you will find yourself searching junkyards for parts...the transmission is notorious for having 3rd gear fail...pcv valve is notorious for leaking boost...did this car have catch cans??
Pros...they are wicked awesome...wicked fast...and wicked sweet...and they usually resale pretty good.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

that is not a stage 3 car. there is no vacuum line from the fuel rail. it's characteristically a bright blue color, can't really miss it. there is however an aftermarket overflow tank, which means it's more likely a 50 trim or something like that. could be good or bad. you don't mention anything about injectors, fuel controller, or anything like that. so....i'd go with bad lol

Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
expresso

well, I put it up on a lift at the dealership tonight, and I think I found all the mods that were done. The previous owner, put aftermarket springs in and lowered it, which can bend the axles. He also put aftermarket rotors and calipers on. There's a aftermarket blow off valve from turbotechnics. There is a aftermarket AGP wastegate, and upgraded turbo which from look at what else he had appears to be a stage 2 turbo. If you look at the engine picture, you can see the battery had to be a much smaller one to fit a battery in there. The front end was repainted and done poorly, which I was told by the dealership it was because of scuff marks. Well its also bumped out now which I don't see in the pics, which leads me to believe they had a little test drive accident one day with the front end. The dealer told me they had a guy repaint it. HMMM its also chipping on the lip if you pop the hood you can see, in the picture its too bright to see it. The low profile tires aren't going to cut it for these new england winters and the rims will rust out. SOO I am not sure I want to spend my nights fixing what could have been a fun toy

Last edited by expresso; 10-29-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Kapitald
Captain

How much were they asking for it???

Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 AM
expresso

15k is what they are asking

Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

lowering the car doesn't break axles, it blows struts. there is no such thing as a s2 turbo. the battery is smaller because of the intake.

i would really suggest finding out what's on the car before making a decision.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
expresso

i have seen a lowered srt-4 bend axles, my friend lowered his and that's exactly what happened. I thought there were s2 kits

Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

The stage 2 kit is a computer, injectors, option of turbo toys, wastegate, etc. There is no upgraded turbo in a Stage 2 kit.

Lowering a car doesn't bend axles....even if you are ghetto about it. From the picture the car appears to have the stock red calipers, and not upgraded ones. Unless they say Stop-Tech or Wilwood, they're stock. All SRTs came stock with red calipers regardless of color. You have in that engine bay that I can see:
- AGP oil accumulator
- Aftermarket overflow can
- Intake
- JMB battery mounted strangely
- Crankcase breather
- Check valve for the PCV line and the accumulator
- AGP IC
- Some type of strange *** feed line to the turbo, makes me think it is or was an AGP 50 trim but the shot doesn't really show it.
- What look like Boomba solid MMs.

If you could get better shots we could help you out a bit more.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
expresso

i know between the engine and the fire shield is the AGP wastegate and underneath I saw the aftermarket blow off valve. The turbo was upgraded but i am unsure as to what. The intake obviously is large and cuts in the battery tray area, therefore the smaller battery was put in, why that way instead of horizontally, no idea. There is also a short throw shifter which obviously cant be shown here. I will snap some more pics if I end up taking a look at it again.

Quick Reply: 1st gen owner looking at srt-4