Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Time for a timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009 | 01:54 PM
Moparwithpsi
|
Thumbs up Time for a timing belt.

Well, the car hit 88K and I figured it was time to go ahead and replace the timing belt. I ordered a Gates Performance Belt from Needswings. I was so excited when it come in (super fast shipping!) and I got it installed. It was a pain as usual, to much crap in the way, and the engine is shoe horned in there. But it went on great.

I just wanted to tell everyone getting ready for a new belt, that the Gates belt is one of the best. Its really well made and it will hold up under alot of stress.

Thanks Needswings and Gates, Im hoping for a good long life for my 05.

Old 08-19-2010 | 12:15 PM
wolf22m
Rookie

I am at 88K as well and will be replacing my belt soon with a Gates racing belt. My manual for my 05 says 105K for the change out but most people are saying that it should be replaced at 60K.....what gives? Do the 05's have stronger belts than previous years or what?

Old 08-19-2010 | 01:40 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The "expected" life of timing belts varies a lot, 60,000 miles to 90,000 miles is most common....

Dusty

Old 08-19-2010 | 03:51 PM
wolf22m
Rookie

I will be doing the water pump, tensioners for all belts, new belts all around and a thermostat. Any tips for the install of any of these components. I know it is really tight to get the main belt tensioner off. Do you have to tilt the motor down or anything like that to get at these parts?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-19-2010 | 05:42 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I would strongly advise using a Service Manual (available online) and be prepared to rent a few weird tools......

Dusty

Old 09-01-2010 | 01:40 AM
wolf22m
Rookie

I am also going to do the water pump at the same time as it comes in a package from Modern Performance with a Gates Racing belt. Do you have to take off the back timing cover along with the cam sprockets to get the water pump changed? If so I will definitely need some special tools. If not it doesn't look too bad.

Old 05-20-2011 | 11:01 AM
wolf22m
Rookie

Made the special cam tool myself and did the water pump and unexpectedly the cam seals as well. Put it all back together and it ran like crap at WOT. Checked and rechecked everything twice. Turns out the cam sensor went bad at the same time. Coincindence?? Oh well, now all is well and back on the road.

Quick Reply: Time for a timing belt.