Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Losing boost, still learning

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
timewarp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing boost, still learning

Builds to 12#'s under wot, then starts to drop to around 8# as the speed increases. Change gears and the same thing, is this normal for these cars or could the BOV be leaking pressure? I hear it all the time under normal driving, hate the constant turkey gobble sound it makes at low rpm shifts.
Speaking of changing gears I hate this gear box, mainly 2nd gear. My old Omni GLH turbo from years ago was rubbery feeling but you always found the gear. Just not a nice crisp feeling, but typical of cable shifters of the day. You would think 20 years later they's have it right.

Any way back on topic any ideas where the boost is going?

Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
70x7
Veteran

Stock cannot maintain the high boost level in the upper rpms, it will loose psi. 8#s is a little much, but if all your clamps are still factory, they are probably leaking anyway. change them all out and see what happens.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
mxrnick
Veteran

yea for sure a boost leak test. that is always a must. then i would make sure all the vac lines are routed correctly cause im asuming you bought used. that "turky gobble" sound you discribe doesnt seem right. ive never heard anything like that coming from my car. does the car have a blow off valve like the mopar blue plate on the turbo? and shifting could be a couple of things. one is a tranny fluid change if the fluid in it is old then changing it will help make the shifting a little smoother. then and my guess is someone installed booger bushing and they are sliding off. its fairly common and pretty easy to fix. here is a how to so you can get an idea of where to look and find the bushing to check them. the ones in the engine bay are the ones known to slide off.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...shings-214212/

Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
timewarp

It has an AEM bov on it, and has made this sound since I bought the car. The other day I was playing on the twisties in the mountains her and grabbed too low a gear and blew the bottom hose to the intercooler off, tought I broke something because I had nooooo power at all. Took me a while to find it because it stayed close to the inlet. Boy was I happy to find that was all it was. Was told to change all the regular clamps to T style the prevent this. Guess I take it off this weekend and look at the bov.
I read on one of the forums that bugger bushing did more harm then good? What gives? I put some on a PT that I had and they helped it, but the 2.0 in a PT uses a different trans, right?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
70x7
Veteran

the bushings should still be the same, the turbo PTs (same 2.4l as SRT) did have a different tranny but the booger bushings are the same part. I think they made the shifting stiffer, but many other people think the opposite.
Guaranteed you have a boost leak from weaksauce factory worm clamps, especially if your intercooler hose popped off that easy. Yes, use Tbolt clamps (Napa sells them).

Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 AM
mxrnick
Veteran

people had problems from not greasing them when they put them on. only some had problems with them sliding around. if you say its only 2nd gear it might be that gears syncro. you can also check if your clutch pedal has been adjusted that will get you a little more clutch action.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...h-pedal-51820/

Quick Reply: Losing boost, still learning