Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Painted a few things....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted a few things....

For my friends 05 Orange Blast SRT-4. I've taken the Center HVAC/radio bezel, the Injector Cover, the Fuse Box Cover, and the Fog Lamp Bezels. Got myself some Orange Blast (PVK) Dupont ChromaBase paint and went to town.

The Center bezel, and fog lamp bezels are painted to match the car. Using 2 coats of DP Primer in deep red, 3 coats of the OB ChromaBase, and 3 coats of ChromaClear (All Dupont, with DP from PPG as the base, I <3 DP). The DP is a non-sanding primer.

The Injector cover and soon to be other parts of the engine are painted in a Metallic Flake Bronze/Gold/Orange color. The letters on the injector cover are highlighted in Intense Blue Pearl (Chrysler late 90s early 00s). A color seen on the Rams, and a few neons.

I never quite understood why this was made an option on the SXT neons, and not on the SRT-4s. The SXT neons have a shifter "base" and center bezel painted to match the color of the car. However on the SRT-4s this wasn't available. We all got silver like it or not.

So I decided to change that for Anthony and his Orange Blast, heres some pictures from them immeadiately after a 20 minute flash and 35 minute bake. Ill have pictures of them on the car, in daylight, tomorrow. Then Ill really be able to tell how well it matches the car.

Any comments, questions, suggestions, etc are welcome

P.S. These were sprayed with a Devillbis HVLP miniature gun, using 45psi at the gun in an Accu-Car spray booth. I used Mid-Temp "kickers", and the booth was running close to 95 degrees the first night, and 89 tonight. I decided against using the fast-flash 90 degree temped "kicker" due to its tendencies for the need to be sprayed much faster and far different than the slower acting agents. Its much better to take your time, especially with a Pearl. Any of you who have painted must know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8899/45E9897AFFA64C1382835AD01D0DDD00.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8899/CE38E366A8A444798CA7A346298C567D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8899/2A1FB8D279214CCCAA723C6903BDBE3D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Default RE: Painted a few things....

Very nice. Those would even look good on my black car. If you want a challenge though, I've got a rusty ol 1970 D-100 stepside out in my barn. She's rough, but she still gets some looks when I get her out though.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
t0973mf
Professional

I'm impressed. Good Job.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

I love you LilSpark... I mean, good job on the painting... I have been considering changing the color of my Bezel to E.Blue for some time... I just lack equipment and patience for painting

Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Nicely done on that paint job. The Electric Blue KICKS A$$ on the interior. I saw a 2005 Neon SXT with it done. Looks really nice. Really considering moving my R/T over to that color.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 PM
coyoteyz13
Veteran

Nice

Old 08-04-2005, 03:38 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

that looks VERY good, you did an AWESOME job with those[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

ORIGINAL: SRT_YA

I love you LilSpark... I mean, good job on the painting... I have been considering changing the color of my Bezel to E.Blue for some time... I just lack equipment and patience for painting

If I can get my hands on an extra one I can paint it for you and ship it over for a small cost. Or I can paint mine, and then ship mine to you and you can ship me your stock one. I have no issues doing this stuff. With pearls it does take ALOT of patience. And these pieces need to be held from the bottom while painting because they're so hard to mount, unlike body pieces from a car.

Thanks guys Anthony gets out of work at 430 my time (eastern). Then we'll slap them on the car, and Ill take some more pictures and have them up tonight. They look gorgeous in the sunlight....I cant wait to see them on the car

Old 08-04-2005, 06:08 PM
jameshushek
Rookie

That looks sick, what color would go good with the silver, or just let it be

Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Its entirely up to you. Usually people with silver cars can get away with almost any color as it doesnt contrast with too many. Take into consideration the color scheme you plan for your car. I.e. Rims, engine dress-up, any type of neons/underglow, custom seats that you may want to do. And start from there. Its only paint and it can always be changed to something different. However most people with Silver do Blue, from my experience.

Quick Reply: Painted a few things....