Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

car misfiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:20 PM
manatlarge2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: car misfiring?

Another area, besides the wires, is the ignition coil. There is a problem with that. And the change from the 03-04 to the new '05 style did not prove to be a fix all. Be carefull about buying a aftermarket coil. These have failed alot in a short time frame. The stock coil is engineered to keep up with the PCM firing the plugs on the exhaust stroke, resulting in the pops and cracks you love so much while decelerating. Thas why a replacement stock coil is $115 compared to the aftermarket price of $75 thru $90. So far all aftermarket coils tested have failed the indurance test. They were not engineered for an SRT-4 application. MSD coil is the better, but i do not recommend it for a daily driver. Have the service department at your dealer look at the car, and tell them you think it is the coil. Chances are thats your problem. If it does it under load, high engine speed, or highway speed, this is the problem.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock coil packs on these cars. the stock ones don't fail, the aftermarkets do. hell even the 7s pro srt-4 uses the stock coil.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
eng37ine

thanks for all the info, i've been out of town for work, so i haven't done nothing yet, but on sat., i should be out buying plugs and wires. thanks to for your input.

john

Old 11-11-2005, 01:03 PM
bigham
Veteran

psi was it you that said before that the msd is the ame spec as factory just aftermarket

Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

yes, it basically does. i think i might have a slighly higher output, but failure rates don't justify it's use. the screamin demon one is even worse with failing than the msd unit, but both are pretty bad. stick with the stock coil pack.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

dig the Hamster......

Quick Reply: car misfiring?