Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

WONDERING?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005 | 03:20 PM
Vettely
Default RE: WONDERING?

ORIGINAL: wordslayer

Hey guys,,,,it's time for........................................

Dumb question of the month!!! Today's first contestant is Word.

Okay,,,here is my question. Struts are shocks, right? IF struts are shocks, then what are coilovers? Are Tokico's coilovers, too? The guys who put my lowering springs on told me that I won't blow out my struts/shocks. If you put on coilovers, the springs still stay on, right? How come coilovers aren't called shocks?

Next question: My car has 50 series tires. This is, from what I have read, is the height of the sidewall. Now,,,,,when I replace tires, and lets say I put on 45 height tires, will the fenderwell/fenderwhale/fender well (how in the hell do you spell that) Anyhow, will the fender well clearance still be the same as it is with my 50's?? I would rather have 50's, I think, because I like how there isn't much space between the top of the tire and the fender. But, if I put on 45's, wouldn't that make it look like more wheel gap???
Whew! I almost fell for that one.

Old 11-03-2005 | 04:07 PM
posthondaremoval
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: wordslayer

Hey guys,,,,it's time for........................................

Dumb question of the month!!! Today's first contestant is Word.

Okay,,,here is my question. Struts are shocks, right? IF struts are shocks, then what are coilovers? Are Tokico's coilovers, too? The guys who put my lowering springs on told me that I won't blow out my struts/shocks. If you put on coilovers, the springs still stay on, right? How come coilovers aren't called shocks?

Next question: My car has 50 series tires. This is, from what I have read, is the height of the sidewall. Now,,,,,when I replace tires, and lets say I put on 45 height tires, will the fenderwell/fenderwhale/fender well (how in the hell do you spell that) Anyhow, will the fender well clearance still be the same as it is with my 50's?? I would rather have 50's, I think, because I like how there isn't much space between the top of the tire and the fender. But, if I put on 45's, wouldn't that make it look like more wheel gap???
Actually, low slow was a little off with his explanation of sidewall height. The 50 in our 205/50-17 tires is the sidewall aspect ratio. It is the percentage of sidewall in comparison to the width(205mm) of the tire. A 45 profile tire in a 225 width has almost the same exact height as a 50 in the 205 width, thus there is no difference in gap, height, or diameter.

Here is a helpful link if you want to determine proper tire sizing relative to stock. :

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

you can compare sizes there.

coilovers are exactly what the name implies. they are a self contained unit with the strut centrally mounted inside the spring. There is height adjustability, and possibly 5 other sdjustments that can ba made, from dampening, to rebound to load, to perch height to compression. They are much more tunable than traditional spring/perch setups. You would lose the eibachs if you went to coilovers, but would gain a better setup, for sure. The coilovers will have a much better ride, as well as handling than either stock or lowering springs if done right. Mopar s3 co's are fantastic. They do run close to 1500 smackers plus install, though.

Old 11-06-2005 | 01:46 PM
eng37ine

I have the mopar bov also, it has its own unique sound, love it. like what silver surfer said, wait for it to cool down and get a racheting wrench, works for the pain in the As$ third bolt

Quick Reply: WONDERING?