Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

srt4 burning oil smell, no power, backfires

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM
racinpartsguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srt4 burning oil smell, no power, backfires

I need some help with my wife's srt4 that we have owned since new. The engine is stock except for a Mopar BOV, and cold air intake. It has close to 200,000 miles on it and haven't had any real problems. The CEL came on recently for a crankshaft position sensor.and she said the oil light flashed a couple times and she smelled something burning.. I replaced the crank sensor and the oil pressure sensor that looked like it was leaking and figured that's what she was smelling and causing the oil light to come on. All seemed well until the next day.. She was driving for awhile and she said the car had no power, backfired a couple times, a rattling noise and is still smelling the burning smell and no CEL.. When I backed it up and drove it on the ramps it idled fine and went on the ramps fine. I took the turbo off and when I took the oil line outta the turbo it smelled like burnt oil and was black inside where the oil line went. There were black swirl marks inside the exhaust side of the turbo. The turbo didn't have major shaft play... She didn't notice any smoke from the exhaust. I'm going to put a rebuilt turbo on it and a timing belt kit but I'm concerned that maybe I should put an oil pump on it to. I'm a pretty good mechanic but this has me stumped. Can the turbo cause the oil light to flash? What caused the burnt oil in the turbo? Is that normal? The car has been very well taken care of with Mobile 1 oil . any input is appreciated.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Sh13sty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racinpartsguy
I need some help with my wife's srt4 that we have owned since new. The engine is stock except for a Mopar BOV, and cold air intake. It has close to 200,000 miles on it and haven't had any real problems. The CEL came on recently for a crankshaft position sensor.and she said the oil light flashed a couple times and she smelled something burning.. I replaced the crank sensor and the oil pressure sensor that looked like it was leaking and figured that's what she was smelling and causing the oil light to come on. All seemed well until the next day.. She was driving for awhile and she said the car had no power, backfired a couple times, a rattling noise and is still smelling the burning smell and no CEL.. When I backed it up and drove it on the ramps it idled fine and went on the ramps fine. I took the turbo off and when I took the oil line outta the turbo it smelled like burnt oil and was black inside where the oil line went. There were black swirl marks inside the exhaust side of the turbo. The turbo didn't have major shaft play... She didn't notice any smoke from the exhaust. I'm going to put a rebuilt turbo on it and a timing belt kit but I'm concerned that maybe I should put an oil pump on it to. I'm a pretty good mechanic but this has me stumped. Can the turbo cause the oil light to flash? What caused the burnt oil in the turbo? Is that normal? The car has been very well taken care of with Mobile 1 oil . any input is appreciated.
Did you ever find your issue to this problem? Currently having a issue where my oil light came on, i immediately pulled over checked my oil, i was about a quart off so i added a quart, but did not fix my oil light problem. So i continue driving the car about 3 miles in i hear a loud pop sound and i immediately lose boost. So all in all ny turbo has bad shaft play so i know i need a new turbo. But my question is did the turbo cause your oil light to come on? Maybe the turbo was starved of oil?

Quick Reply: srt4 burning oil smell, no power, backfires