Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

waste gate question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006 | 08:23 PM
vaughn
|
Captain
Default waste gate question

hi everyone...... my first day at work with my srt-4........and i meet a guy with the same srt-4 as me...........he showed me a little trick that he says gives you more power..

the top of your stock wga.....where the hose connects........he said you take that hose loose.......and replace it with a hose that has a T connector in the middle.....which if you ask me is nothing more than puting a hole in the hose???.....he said it would make you feel like you got 300 horse power..........when i ask him why he didnt have it installed....he said wanted to save gas........anyways..... i hope someone understand what im talking about.......has anyone heard of doing this??

i got another question please.....when waxing my white srt-4 ....is it ok to wax the bumpers?.......my last dodge neon was red.and when i waxed the bumpers on it.it took the paint off...so the bumpers ended up looking faded

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:00 PM
winniep
Veteran
Default RE: waste gate question

A friend of mine had a 2004 WRX that if you took the hose completely off, it WOULD feel as if you added 50 horses, but not only did it throw a CEL, half the time the power would fall off ( and I mean FALL OFF!) about 5000 RPM's. Maybe pulling time, I don't know. Anyway, by my understanding (I could be wrong) the stock wastegate starts opening approx. 4 psi of boost. If you put the "hole" in the hose, then you are forcing the pressure going to the WG to try alot harder to open it because half of your pressure is venting into the atmosphere. Your wastegate in turn will probably start opening more like 7-9 psi, and not at all in the case of removing it. You could go this route, I guess, as a sort of quick fix ghetto mod, but in my opinion, I wouldn't try it. Honestly, most "ghetto" mods (catch can excluded of course) aren't worth the potential headache. You'd be much better off just shelling out a few bucks and getting an aftermarket WG actuator like the AGP, which starts opening about 14 psi. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:04 PM
vaughn
|
Captain

that helped and i appreciate your response..

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:31 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

what he's referring to is known as a bleeder valve. if you use one you should be smacked across the head with your turbo. two main issues with bleeder valves...

1. they're plastic. they sit right next to a big hot turbo that runs to approx 1200 degrees. does this sound like a bad idea to anyone else?

2. the point of the bleeder valve is to allow more boost to be run by fooling the ecu into thinking that there's less boost than there actually is. like a cheap mbc. the problem is that you have no control over anything when you use a bleed, unline when you have a mbc and you can actually set it at a certain psi level. so the ecu pushes out boost thinking that it's low on power.....a/f start to o lean....say goodbye to your rings. i've seen it happen on a few cars already.

you can get a used mbc for $40 if you look, it's a small price to pay to know that you won't be popping your motor.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:40 PM
vaughn
|
Captain

thanks for the reply psi ladie .... im glad you guys know your stuff.....i wasnt planning on doing it to my car........ i think the car is fast enough as is.....im going to put a oil catch thingie and a better filter.and thats probably it.....

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:44 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

i'd suggest a check valve over a catch can...works just as good and no potential boost leak.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:51 PM
vaughn
|
Captain

hi....i have this laying around.......i took the filter out was planning on using it.. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ihtoken=1#tabs

thanks for the advice you got a link to a recommended check valve ?

Old 02-21-2006 | 04:22 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

that link went to the main page of sears, so i'm not sure what you were trying to link to.

pt-performance.com has the check valve. it's $35 or so i think, installs in about 5 mintues, and works great!

Old 02-21-2006 | 04:32 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Carburator jets were also used as bleeders and they are metal, but the damage is the same regardless from this type of mod. It would be useful if you have a sizeable race bet, like running for pink slips or really large sums of cash, where the payoff is worth blowing the engine. Using a T in that line will completely disable the WGA and it will boost till it blows up or melts down. I remember an article in a Mopar magazine where an almost stock '87 Daytona Shelby Z was making passes in the 1/4 mile and both the wastegate and fuel pressure regulator fail at the same time and the engine blew at half track and it still coasted to a high 13. It had almost unlimited boost due to the failures, hitting I believe it said was 25 or 35 psi boost (they are 7.5 psi boost stock) melting the top half of the engine. So unless you only want one spectacular run and you don't need it to run again, then never do such stupid things to disable essential controls and engine managment.

Old 02-21-2006 | 09:41 AM
vaughn
|
Captain

thanks again for the help people......psi chick.........i emailed pt performance there web sight doesnt allow me to order for some reason.......but either way im going to buy that part will call them this evening thanks........

If i buy a drop in k@n Filter.....should i leave the filter box lid off?......does this benifit anything??
also do you guys wax your bumpers?

Quick Reply: waste gate question