Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

PTB...eh, it's not so bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PTB...eh, it's not so bad

PTB is just what black4 stated, its full boost at part throttle. Causing compressor stalls and decreased life and increased wear on your turbo.

How do you get it? Usually with the addition of a wastegate actuator and/or a boost controller, be it manual or electronic? How do you avoid it? Re-learning how to drive the car to avoid it.

The Mopar BOV doesnt do much other than make noise and relieve pressure (what other BOVS do, only to a much larger extent). When your in boost, your building up pressure, this pressure has to go somewhere, because it cant go back into the turbo, so the BOV, releases the pressure in the form of a noise of your choice. Some BOV's work better than others, and allow for higher boost levels. What does it do for you with a stock vehicle? Nothing. But alot of people buy them, because they like the noise. A BOV other than the Mopar also gives you the requirement of buying a hard cold side intercooler pipe with a flange to mate to your BOV. This is much better for the FMIC in many ways.

The Wastegate....allows you to hold higher boost, the stronger the spring, the better your hold. Granted many have spiked 18psi on the stock WGA, but you can't hold it to redline. The WGA is just an upgrade allowing higher spike/hold levels for your boost.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:56 AM
mxrnick
Veteran

so that is what that is. since i have put my mbc in i have had that ptb, i just didnt know what it was. my car will spike at like 20 psi and then will slowly fall to like 12 psi. is there any way to get it to hold at like 18 psi or am i just going to have to buy a wastegate?

Old 04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

The stock WGA only has a 4lb spring, AGP has a 19lb spring. The higher the spring rate the better holding ability the WGA has. Plus with an MBC its harder to control what you hold than it is with an EBC, which nearly allows you to set that.