Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

How do all your cars drive? My car has always had a slight pull to the right. This has been so through 2 sets of tires and even after rotating them. The steering wheel is straight and the alignment "looks" good the car drives fine and tire wear shows no problem, but you have to keep a hand on the wheel continuously, or the car will head for the ditch. If I let go, the car slowly but always and predictably heads right. It will even pull over the crown in the road from the left "fast" lane over to the right. I specialized in alignments in vocational school, so I know how they are "set" and the theories behind why you do what to what so I am not looking for an explanation of how alignments work, I got that covered, I just want to know how common a problem this is, or if it is at all. I am going to make some adjustments myself to correct the pull and then go get the toe reset on a rack. If it turns out to be a common problem and I am able to adjust it out, I will let you all know what I did and why. FYI, though I am not running stock wheels and tires anymore and my wheel offset is not stock anymore.

Let me know,
Thanks.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Andy4.7
Captain
Default RE: Alignment

When I first got my car it drove perfectly straight, I loved it! I can't stand when there's a pull.

After I lowered my car and got an alignment there was a very slight pull to the right. And now, well of course the car has other problems lol.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Racevette77
Professional

ORIGINAL: Pressurecooker

How do all your cars drive? My car has always had a slight pull to the right. This has been so through 2 sets of tires and even after rotating them. The steering wheel is straight and the alignment "looks" good the car drives fine and tire wear shows no problem, but you have to keep a hand on the wheel continuously, or the car will head for the ditch. If I let go, the car slowly but always and predictably heads right. It will even pull over the crown in the road from the left "fast" lane over to the right. I specialized in alignments in vocational school, so I know how they are "set" and the theories behind why you do what to what so I am not looking for an explanation of how alignments work, I got that covered, I just want to know how common a problem this is, or if it is at all. I am going to make some adjustments myself to correct the pull and then go get the toe reset on a rack. If it turns out to be a common problem and I am able to adjust it out, I will let you all know what I did and why. FYI, though I am not running stock wheels and tires anymore and my wheel offset is not stock anymore.

Let me know,
Thanks.
I have the SAME exact problem. Ive had the allignment checked 3 times and new tires put on yet it still has a - waht i would call Hard - pull to the rt. It drives me nutts.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Plan B
Captain

When mine was stock it pulled to the right, and also caused massive uneven wear on the tires. After my wreck however (replaced right control arm, sway bar, and steering rack/brace) I got a wider set of tires with new rims and the pull is less noticeable/almost completely gone....

Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
winniep
Veteran

Mine does the exact same thing, other than it is to the left.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 PM
jac05srt4
Professional

mine was giving me a problem and i just got it aligned yestarday with new tires on stock rims and it seems to drive better than ever. there is no more pull to either side.

josh

Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Mine pulls slightly to the left as well............

Dusty

Old 09-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Hmmmm. Well the fact that some cars do pull left, is to me, probably a good sign. This means I will probably be able to adjust the pull out of it. I was concerned I would not be able to due to an anomally in the design and because FWD as we all know really effects the steerings neutrality. I will start by trying to either take caster out of the left front (1st choice) or adding caster to the right front (second choice) in very small amounts of course. This should create more of a left pull and zero me out.
For those who did not know, most cars are set up to have a slight left pull. This compensates for road crown since most of the time you are driving on the right side of a crowned road which would have the car pulling right. So with a slight left pull, it cancels out and the car drives straight. A good alignment tech can ask you where you spend most of your driving time (highway or rural two laners) and actually add a little more or a little less pull to match your answer due to highways being flatter than two lane rural roads.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Racevette77
Professional

Plz tell me you found a Fix for that Annoying pull? Ive been anxiously awaiting a solution b4 i have to take it to the dealer and bitch ;o).

Old 09-14-2006, 02:00 AM
05SRTStage3
Professional

My car drives perfectly straight no pull whatso ever....that is the only thing that still works properly on my car!!!!!!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Alignment