Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

ride height

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 AM
wordslayer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride height

question:

this is something I just cannot understand. When I bought my gold wheels, I had 225x45 tires on 17x775 wheels. That SHOULD be about the same ride height as our stock tires on our stock wheels, right? Oh, I am on goldline lowering springs.

when I first put the gold wheels and tires on, I just knew the car didn't look like it sit as close to the wheels and tires as it did with my stockers. The car just seemed higher----not much...but higher. I put the stockers back on today and I swear, the car looks lower. the odd thing is,,,the sidewall on the stockers seems shorter in height that the 225x45's do. Any theories on why this might be?

Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Default RE: ride height

Yeah, it is because you are on a wider tire. The side wall "grew" in height in direct proportion to the width.
A lesson from tire sizes 101 says;

The 1st number, "225" is the metric width in millimeters (this can vary in actual width by about +/- 10 mm due to manufacturing tolerances)

The 2nd number, "45" is the ASPECT RATIO. It is NOT a measurement. What this means is, the sidewall height will be 45% of the width. Hence, the taller sidewall with the wider tire if the aspect ratios are the same for both.

The 3rd number, "17" is of course, the inside diameter of the tire bead in inches.

So a 225/45/17 is going the be a smidge taller than a 205/45/17.

MMMkayy?

[8D]

Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 AM
wordslayer
Captain

ORIGINAL: Pressurecooker

Yeah, it is because you are on a wider tire. The side wall "grew" in height in direct proportion to the width.
A lesson from tire sizes 101 says;

The 1st number, "225" is the metric width in millimeters (this can very in actual width by about +/- 10 mm due to manufacturing tolerances)

The 2nd number, "45" is the ASPECT RATIO. It is NOT a measurement. What this means is, the sidewall height will be 45% of the width. Hence, the taller sidewall with the wider tire if the aspect ratios are the same for both.

The 3rd number, "17" is of course, the inside diameter of the tire bead in inches.

So a 225/45/17 is going the be a smidge taller than a 205/45/17.

MMMkayy?

[8D]
thanks, press

I understand that the tire sidewall would be a little higher, but wouldn't the higher tire sidewall fill up the fenderwell, thereby, making the car look closer to the tire? In other words, making it look like it has less wheel gap? the car, with the stock wheels, looks like it sits down closer to the tires that I have on it now.

also, if you ever see pics of cars with 35 and 40 sidewall heights, they always look like they need coilovers or something. dunno,,,,just puzzling to me.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

As far as the gap between fender and tire and how it looks, I'm guessing its more of an optical illusion caused by the color, offset or style of the wheel. For this, I have no explanation, only guesses.

I think silver wheels just look bigger.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Plan B
Captain

I experienced the same issue there word. I have 225/45/17's as well and the wheel gap just looks rediculous. I think the stockies just do a good job of hiding the wheel gap...

Quick Reply: ride height