Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

My first problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 AM
04_T_4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first problem

It seems to me that I cannot put my car into gear very easily. This has been getting a bit worse over the past few monthes. Even at a stop, I have troubles sometimes getting it into first. Does anyone have a clue as to what it would be? Maybe tranny or clutch problem?

Old 10-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Four Banger Anger
Professional
Default RE: My first problem

try changing your tranny fluid, is third gear hard to get into?

how many kms? I needed a new clutch at 50,000km

Jordan

Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 AM
04_T_4
Rookie

I am at almost 28,000 miles, probably roll that over tomorrow. Yes third is difficult to get into also.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

The fluid needs to be changed every 12k miles. The manual recommends Mopar ATF+4 and the Friction Modifier, you'll get extreme arguments either way on what fluids to use.

First gear will always be that way, these cars have a feature not to allow the car into unless its below a certain mph. The gearing is very close, and EVERYONE has problems with first gear from time to time.

Third gear can be a sign of worn synchronizers....I'd have it checked out by your local dealer since you're still under your factory 3/36.

And I'm at 66,000miles, with no transmission work needed. Oh yeah, and stock clutch (not replaced) with 311lbs-ft of torque untuned on a car I TAUGHT MYSELF how to drive stick in.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM
04_T_4
Rookie

My warrenty is void now, as I am the second owner and the dealership that sold it to me "forgot" to tell me that in order to keep the warrenty, I had to pay them $100 within 30 days of purchase. They called me at 32 days saying it was now void.

Oh and on a crappier note, I just rear ended tonite after a horrible day of work! Yeah me! So, now I get to spend my day off at the Insurance agent and the Collision center. Hmmm, maybe my tranny and exhaust are dammaged? Anyone know of any good site with after market back clips?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
talisman
Veteran

Call the 1-800 Chrysler number in your warranty book. I think the dealer is wrong. The basic 3/36 warranty transfers automatically, the 7/70 powertrain costs a $100.
Tell the dealer you want to talk to the regional service rep about the problem and see if the tunes and stories don't start changing. You can cost them ( the dealer and Manufacturer ) more money in bad advertising than it would cost them to fix the car and they know damn well that is a fact.

Be cool, be polite, explain your position, don't make accusations, don't become part of the problem become part of the solution. Let me know what happens, I'm interested.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: talisman

Call the 1-800 Chrysler number in your warranty book. I think the dealer is wrong. The basic 3/36 warranty transfers automatically, the 7/70 powertrain costs a $100.
Tell the dealer you want to talk to the regional service rep about the problem and see if the tunes and stories don't start changing. You can cost them ( the dealer and Manufacturer ) more money in bad advertising than it would cost them to fix the car and they know damn well that is a fact.

Be cool, be polite, explain your position, don't make accusations, don't become part of the problem become part of the solution. Let me know what happens, I'm interested.

Good advice.........

Dusty

Quick Reply: My first problem