New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

abs & brake light stays on, speedo does not register until vehicle reaches 40+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 AM
upnorthpapa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs & brake light stays on, speedo does not register until vehicle reaches 40+ MPH

I drive a 1999 Ran 2500 diesel and have good brakes but the ABS & Brake lights stay on and the speedo does not register until I reach at least 40 MPH. Can you tell me where my trouble is?

Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: abs & brake light stays on, speedo does not register until vehicle reaches 40+ MPH

I don't know, but welcome to D.Forum.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
belowrdr
Default RE: abs & brake light stays on, speedo does not register until vehicle reaches 40+ MPH

If the cruise control is also inoperative, it's probably the vehicle distance/speed sensor. It is mounted on the tailshaft housing of the trans, where the speedo cable used to go to. Also - unplug the sensor & check for water intrusion into the electrical connector that plugs into it. That has been known to happen, causing the terminals to corrode & have poor connection to the sensor pins. Either way, if you are bothering to unplug it, I recommend a very light coating of dielectric grease be applied to the rubber seal on the connector, as prevention. Not too much grease - don't want itin the connector, may interfere with the connection - just on the connector seal. Lastly, if tranny fluid drips out when you unplug it - game over. Get a new sensor.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: abs & brake light stays on, speedo does not register until vehicle reaches 40+ MPH