New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

In This Post 4 people are naked

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In This Post 4 people are naked

ORIGINAL: Hamspiced

Paint is unecessary, and protect it from what?
The elements. Again just a suggestion. It's what I would probably do

-Matt-

Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Hamspiced

ORIGINAL: Raxstone

First -- a more apt name for this thread would have been 'Some dirty pics'.

Protect it from rust with new paint. Like you said, performance first. Well, a lighter car is a quicker car -- rusty metal weighs more than rust-free metal. Not to mention rust spreads exponentially. How long do you think it will take to work from the body to the frame, to the suspension and brakes, drivetrain? Oh, wait you did mention replacing a god-awful amount of the brake system and suspension. Hmm, wonder why -- certainly not because maintanance is a Ricer attribute that you should best avoid?

Now, having a freshly painted car is by no means ricer! Ricer's will dole out the bucks for a new wing, a bigger subwoofer, a more powerful amp, and other 'should go faster items' like air-foils which are just on the market to take Ricer money, rather than taking care of the underbody to keep their suspension from rusting out from under their cars.

No car will get more respect than a nice looking fast car. When I see some rusted, dented heap pealing out I don't think 'wow that car is fast', I think geez what a goof -- if he put some money into decent tires he wouldn't have traction problems, and then I laugh as pieces of rocker panels drop off of the car when he hits bumps.

The brakesystem was not put in because of rust or because it was ill maintained. A defective Banjo bolt sold to me by Motormite caused 3 parts of my brake lines to burst, i replaced all the lines with stainless steel preformed lines from www.inlinetube.com, i also replaced the rubber soft lines with high performance steel braided stainless steel Earls brake lines, a new proportioning valve, power booster, master cylinder were also replaced because i had already spend 350 what was an extra 50 for more new parts. All had nothing to do with poor maintence.

Rust is actually lighter then metal, the rusting process starts when metal is oxidized and air starts turning the metal into rust, as rust goes deaper into metal the oxidization process turns the rust into Co, less material means less mass... i just thought id attack your poorly thought out explaination of rust injuring the performance of my car...

If surface rust ever occurs on my camaro it will never "infect" the frame considering the entire unibody and undercarriage has been sprayed with Por-15 www.por15.com. nearly all suspension pieces are new (Shocks, struts, a-arm, panhard bar, stb, torque arm, sway bar, sway bar links, ball joints, tierod, tierod ends, pitman arm.. etc etc) and have been powdercoated. so i highly doubt ill have a frame rust concern.

There is little to no body rust on vital parts of the vechicle (rear quarters) just because the clear coat has came off doesnt mean the vehicle is suseptible to rust.

I am not trying to Awe and amaze people with the sheer beauty of my car... i never have, i dont plan to. Painting a car when it is not needed, just to make it look better, is an appearence modification that nets no physical gain in performance. function over form is the generalized rule when it comes to ricing a vehicle. i suggest you take a trot to www.anti-rice.com check out the forums... youll realize...

Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Raxstone
Rookie

It is a fact that rusty metal weighs more than clean metal. Sure, as the metal rots away it starts to weigh less, but by that time it's no longer structurally safe. Don't believe facts of science? Test it yourself. Take 2 identical bolts. Keep one clean, let the other form a noticeable amount of rust. Now weigh them. Sorry to inform you, this test has been done many, many times in Elementary schools as simple science projects. It's proven over and over again. If you have any kind of Chemistry background, then you'd understand the Chemical composition of rust. Take the elements that make up rust, and you'll see that on a molecular scale, rust simply weighs more than steel.

Now, when I wrote my last post I was being a bit sarcastic with the weight issue. Obviously there is a lot of rot, and pieces falling off the car, which will give you weight gains. That's a simple fact as well -- you punch a bunch of holes in something of course it's going to weigh less.

Lastly, I didn't say you're car rusted out in the brake system. What I did say was that you made reference to maintainace being a Ricer thing. Yet you did perform maintainance. Now surely you can see the benefits to performing good maintainance on a car, since you yourself admitted to doing some. As you said, if it doesn't make it go faster than it's Rice. That's far from the full definition of Rice, but it is part of it. What I took offense to was you saying that anyone that wants their car to look good is suddenly a Ricer. Why? Maybe they just take pride in their vehicle? Why pay $10,000+ for a car, just to let the body go to hell? Why buy a winter beater in order to protect your pride-and-joy from the evil's of icy roads, salt, and bad drivers? Trust me, it has nothing to do with being a Ricer.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:52 PM
stonemason777

got a reflexxions dominator hood for 325

Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Post some pics

-Matt-

Old 10-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Hamspiced

Updating the brake system was not necessarily in the same legue as repainting the car.

Also, if your buildin gon the performance of a vehicle the brakes are second most important thing to make sure work properly. And yes, doign the amount of work i did to the brakes is a performance upgrade, although it doesnt make you faster it is functional. Where as a nifty paint scheme would have no functional aspect other then making it look pretty..

Now if you want to nit pick you can point out that a vehicle with a clear coat coming off will create drag. however i some how doubt that the .0001 off my et will matter that much to me.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:15 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Updating the brake system was not necessarily in the same legue as repainting the car.
So it putting 20' spinners on your vehicle and tinting the windows, but people still do it all the time!

-Matt-

Old 10-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Hamspiced

and thats rice.. theres no functionality in spinners...

this must be the longest newbie intro thread on these forums.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Since when was tinting your windows "Rice" ???

-Matt-

Old 10-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Hamspiced

i never said tinting your windows was... i said putting spinners on were... why do you insist on argueing.

if you want to get technical yes window tint can be rice, i am of course referring to the yellow, red, blue, mirror tint that is on many ricers.

Quick Reply: In This Post 4 people are naked