New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hi- I'm new here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
shazam779
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi- I'm new here.

Hey guys. I've had my '97 Avenger ES for 11 years now- replaced the engigne after going through a 2 bad water pumps that caused the timing belt to fail at high speed and trashed my engine... (after paying $$$ to have the engine re-machined with the first one) ugh- what a nightmare. Replaced a leaky radiator- the struts, countless brake pads for some reason, and still have a minor trans. leak that I'd rather remain in denial over than be given that devastating estimate for repair....
I've also gone through the ball joint failure "cuz I didn't know about the recall" circus. TWICE. My headlight lenses need constant polishing cuz they're so foggy- I have to use brights lot to get enough light out to see at night- my rear spoiler is doing the creepy bubble and peel thing- my front spoiler (under the front bumper) is all split open and torn from the tow trucks not being able to get it up on the flatbed without dragging it... the drivers side door handle fell off, so I have to pop the door open from the passenger side, and the driver's side wheelwell is all torn up from the 2 times the ball joint failed and the drive axle broke while turning and the tire got jammed sideways under that area and rippled the well badly. The cat. converters have been replaced along with all 4 O2 sensors. The sun visor clips have both broken off- So sad- this beautiful car is showing the ravages of a rough life!
I keep fixing it cuz it's car-payment free and the insurance is super low now that it's also been "totalled" by the insurance company for hail damage (you can't really even see it if you don't look too closely).
I guess I still feel like I'm coming out ahead to keep fixing it instead of going into a newer car with payments and full coverage. And I still think it's an awesome body style that you don't see much any more. Everything is either "boxy", "tubby" or tiny with the newer cars. This car has that sexy "wedge" shape- sleek with the cute higher "butt".
I see from reading many posts in this forum that some of these problems are common with the Avenger- nice to know that I'm not alone. I think I will find some help here. My mechanic is moving to Denver and I will have to find someone new to trust with the repairs. Very scary. So far with the exception of the balljoint recall, we've been able to get very inexpensive salvaged parts for all the repairs- even the the new engine is a rebuilt from another Avenger for $350.00.
Everyone is telling me it's time to move on and sell the car. Just can't do it.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Hi- I'm new here.

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Suz!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts